Migratory Game Bird Hunting Seasons Proposed for Md.
After receiving and reviewing public input, the Maryland Department of Natural Resources has selected the 2019 – 2020 migratory game bird hunting seasons. These recommendations are now awaiting final approval from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.
In addition to close consultation with Governor Hogan’s Wildlife Advisory Commission and the Migratory Game Bird Advisory Committee, the department conducted an extensive public outreach effort to develop and propose the 2019-20 migratory game bird hunting season package.
“These interactive steps involving public input are a critical component of our annual season selection process.” Wildlife and Heritage Service Director Paul Peditto said. “We strive to offer hunting seasons that work for all Marylanders and we sincerely thank all those who took the time to provide input into this process.”
Highlights of the department’s recommendations include:
- Youth waterfowl hunting days on Nov. 2, 2019 and Feb. 8, 2020;
- Regular duck hunting season segments from Oct. 12-19, Nov. 16 -29 and Dec. 16 – Jan. 31, 2020 with a daily bag limit of six, including two canvasbacks; the mallard bag limit is now two birds (maximum of one hen) per day;
- Migratory Atlantic Population Canada goose hunting segments from Dec. 20 to Jan. 4, 2020 and Jan. 14 to Jan. 31, 2020, with a daily bag limit of one;
- The special season for sea ducks in the designated zone from Nov. 2 – Jan.10, 2020; and
- Mourning dove season segments from Sept. 2 – Oct. 19, Oct. 26 – Nov. 29, and Dec. 21 – Jan. 10, 2020.
The complete list of recommended migratory game bird seasons can be viewed online and once finalized will appear in the 2019-2020 Maryland Guide to Hunting and Trapping and on the department’s hunting webpage.
Hunters with questions should call 410-260-8540.