2018 Maryland Natural Resource Photo Contest Underway
The 15th Annual Maryland Department of Natural Resources Photo Contest runs now through Aug. 31, 2018. Winners will be featured in the department’s 2019 wall calendar and published in the winter 2019 edition of the magazine. Enter now—online or by mail—for your chance to win cash, state parks passports and other prizes.
Photographers may enter photos featuring Birds, Insects, Flora, Recreation, Scenic Landscapes, Weather & Wonder, and/or Wildlife. Judges will select first, second and third place winners by season. (See Prizes section for more details.)
There will also be a “Fan Favorite” selected by popular vote on Facebook. The photo with the most “likes” will also be printed in the calendar and magazine.
We remind all participants to be careful of their surroundings and always put safety first!
- An entry fee of $10 for up to three photos and $3 for each additional entry must be paid with your submission. The number of photos submitted by is unlimited.
- Photos (or parts thereof) previously published online or in print by a third party are not eligible. This includes print outlets and professional websites/social media accounts. Entering images you’ve shared on your own personal pages are eligible, provided they meet size requirements.
- All photos must be original.
- Light edits/enhancements only—images with heavy effects, manipulations and/or watermarks will not be considered.
- Photographers from any state may participate, but all photos must be taken in Maryland.
- Judges will make selections based on the quality, composition, content, originality, creativity and mass appeal. Decisions are final and in the judges’ sole and absolute discretion.
- This offer is void where prohibited by law.
- The department is not responsible for lost or misdirected entries.
- Photographers authorize the department to distribute their image(s) for non-commercial purposes with photo credits—including but not limited to education and news purposes—to the State of Maryland, media, print, digital, online services and television for their use. Photographers retain copyright to these photos, the above agreed to permissions not withstanding.*
- The contest is open to all photographers, except for employees of the Maryland Department of Natural Resources and their immediate families.
Please be mindful that the winning photos will appear in a standard size wall calendar and may need to be cropped or scaled.
TO ENTER ONLINE: Entries must be sent by 11:59 p.m. (EST) on Aug. 31, 2018
- Photos must be clear with the highest resolution possible — minimum 3600px x 2400px at 300 dpi.
- Go to shopdnr.com to pay the entry fee.
- Submit the photo entry form here. Before you upload your file(s), please name them in a Category_Title by Name format. Example: Flora_Sunflowers in Bloom by John Smith.jpg
TO ENTER BY MAIL: Entries must be postmarked by August 31, 2018.
- Describe all photos on the contest entry form, which must be included with your photos.
- Eligible formats include 5”x7” or 8”x10” prints. No slides or transparencies.
- Photos are not to be matted, mounted or framed.
- Each photo must be labeled on the reverse side with the name and address of the photographer, category and photo number corresponding to the entry form.
Grand Prize Winner (Overall):
$500; 2019 Maryland State Park Passport; five-year subscription to the Maryland Natural Resource magazine; five copies of the 2019 calendar; image on the cover
Three First Place Winners (winter, spring, summer, fall, minus the Grand Prize Winner)
2019 Maryland State Park Passport; two-year subscription to the Maryland Natural Resource magazine; five copies of the 2019 calendar
Four Second Place Winners (winter, spring, summer, fall)
One-year subscription to the Maryland Natural Resource magazine; five copies of the 2019 calendar
Four Third Place Winners (winter, spring, summer, fall)
One copy of the 2019 calendar with winning photo published
Please direct any questions to Lauren Mitchell in the Office of Communications at email@example.com