What’s Happening Today – September 23, 2021
Today on DelmarvaLife –
The day 20-plus year veteran Corporal Keith Heacook of the Delmar Police Department was killed in the line of duty was a tragic day that hurt us all. We find out how the community is coming together to honor this hero, and help his family with a fundraiser at Johnny’s Tavern in East New Market.
We do what we can to help women who are fighting breast cancer. Women Supporting Women is a non-profit group that provides support and it doesn’t cost the patient a dime. We talk about the 20th Annual Walk for Awareness.
Mentoring goes a long way toward helping local children. We learn about the need for mentors through Worcester Youth and Family Counseling Services‘ the Worcester Connects program.
It’s Throwback Thursday. “Secrets of the Eastern Shore” Author, Jim Duffy tells us the story of how a Milford man made a huge contribution to the ice cream industry.
A Worcester Prep Freshman qualified for the “Drive, Chip, and Put Challenge.” That means he competes at the Masters next April. DelmarvaLife’s Katie Zarrilli goes club-to-club with this rising star.
From The Mr. Food Test Kitchen
Tuscan Chicken One Pot
You won’t need a passport for our Tuscan Chicken One Pot. The heavenly aroma and succulent taste will make you feel like you’re sitting at sidewalk bistro in Tuscany. It’s the marinara sauce and white wine that really takes this easy chicken dinner recipe to the next level. And one pot recipes are known for their easy clean up, so it really will seem like a vacation in your very own home!
What You’ll Need
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 1 (3- to 3-1/2-pound) chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 green bell peppers, thinly sliced
- 1 large onion, cut in half then thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound fresh sliced mushrooms
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1 (7.75-ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained
- 2 to 3 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves removed from stems
- 1 (24-ounce) jar spaghetti sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup white wine (optional)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
What to Do
- In a shallow dish, combine flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; mix well. Dip chicken into flour mixture, coating evenly.
- In a Dutch oven or soup pot over medium-high heat, heat oil until hot. Add chicken and brown on all sides.
- Add remaining ingredients to chicken (including the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper), except for the heavy cream; mix well. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook 40 to 45 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink in center.
- Remove chicken to a serving bowl. Stir heavy cream into the sauce and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes or until warm, but not boiling. Spoon sauce over chicken and serve.