What’s Happening Today – September 21, 2021
Today on DelmarvaLife –
From Our Hot Topics:
To purchase tickets for the Firefly Festival: fireflyfestival.com
Dream with us for a second — your perfect retirement. What’s it look like? Traveling to distant places, gifts upon gifts for the grandkids? All of it is possible, but it takes preparation. The team at Key Financial Services in Berlin wants to help in every part of that process. It’s a family business consisting of a father, daughter, and son – along with a few others. And as we hear from DelmarvaLife’s Katie Zarrilli, they’ll make you feel like family, and help your finances feel manageable.
The Friday night lights are bright once again on Delmarva, and we have the folks who keep it all running smoothly! DelmarvaLife’s Katie Zarrilli is outside to hear how referees help our kiddos play by the rules.
The ability to read. It’s something a lot of us might take for granted. It’s also something the team at Literacy Delaware wants all of us to recognize. Dale Ashera-Davis is Literacy Delaware‘s Sussex County Coordinator.
We all break a bone now and again, but it’s no longer a big worry! The advances in orthopedics are just stunning! We’ll chat with Dr. William Doran, an orthopedic surgeon for TidalHealth with offices in Seaford, Georgetown and soon, Millsboro. He’s utilizing those advances to do amazing things here on Delmarva.
From the Mr. Food Test Kitchen:
Talk about taking comfort food to a whole new level. This recipe combines two tried-and-true favorites: chili and macaroni and cheese. The result is one beefy, cheesy, casserole that’s good till the very last bite. Oh, and did we mention it’s got a crispy topping?
What You’ll Need
- 1 pound elbow macaroni
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 2 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 (15-ounce) cans chili with beans
- 1 cup French-fried onions
What to Do
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Coat a 9- x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large pot, cook macaroni according to package directions; drain and set aside.
- In the same pot over medium heat, melt butter. Add flour, mustard, salt, and pepper; mix well. Gradually add milk and cook until thickened, stirring constantly. Add 2 cups cheese and continue stirring until melted. Remove from heat and stir in macaroni. Spoon mixture into baking dish.
- Pour chili evenly over macaroni and cheese, and top with remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Sprinkle French-fried onions over top.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes, or until heated through and golden.