What’s Happening Today – September 14, 2021
Today on DelmarvaLife –
Supporting seniors as they get on in years. That’s what the Worcester County Commission On Aging does.
It’s been ten years — ten years — of asking you –do you know someone who could use a new roof, but might not have the means to make it happen? That’s where Spicer Bros’ “Delmarva’s Neediest Roof Contest” makes dreams come true. We’ll tell you how to nominate someone.
We’re talking arms and legs, and a condition you need to be on the lookout for, with a TidalHealth doctor who specializes in artery disease.
Chances are, you know someone whose life has been affected by cancer, and that includes those whose family or friends have struggled with it. Thankfully, there are resources being poured into the daily effort to find a cure. One of those vital resources is Relay For Life, and Avery Hall Insurance Group is teaming up with relay for life in a very special way.
We’ve had a blast over the past couple of months previewing the Delaware State Parks Summer Concert Series. and as we get ready to welcome a new season — we’re also welcoming a fall lineup full of fun.
Walking the plank that stands hundreds of feet high in the middle of a city. Fighting for your life as aliens shoot at you from space. Safe to say, these are experiences you probably haven’t had throughout the course of your life. You can now — virtually, of course — at Delaware’s first virtual reality arcade, Ctrl-V.
From the Mr. Food Test Kitchen:
If you love Amish recipes, then our Carrot Cake Whoopie Pies are going to put a hop in your step this summer! You won’t believe how easy it is to make! Carrot cake mix is baked like a cookie and each delectable dessert has a fluffy cream cheese filling that will bring the feeling of summer into your kitchen. A new, carroty-flavored twist, on a classic Amish taste.
What You’ll Need
- 1 (21.41-ounce) package carrot cake mix
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 large eggs
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 cups confectioners’ sugar
What to Do
To Make Cakes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat baking sheets with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer, combine cake mix (see Note), oil, water, and eggs; beat well. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto baking sheets about 2 inches apart. (Since “cakes” will be baked in batches, refrigerate batter until ready to place on baking sheets.)
- Bake 12 to 14 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cakes cool slightly then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
To Make Cream Cheese Filling
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer, beat cream cheese, butter, and vanilla until fluffy.
- Beat in confectioners’ sugar 1 cup at a time until smooth.
- Turn half the cooled cakes over onto their rounded sides and spread a dollop of filling over them. Place the other half of the cakes on top of the filling, forming sandwiches. Refrigerate until ready to serve.