What’s Happening Today – September 1, 2021
Today on DelmarvaLife –
The Institute Of Retired Persons offers programs to enhance the lives of members by providing opportunities for social interactions, intellectual stimulation, recreation and travel and by embracing diversity. Mary Huebner is the Secretary and Philip Lebel. is the Vice-president of the Institute of Retired Persons.
Imagine a world without cancer. A world where loved ones didn’t have to suffer. Where all children could play instead of courageously enduring chemo. All mothers could live to hold their grandchildren, Fathers could play catch with their sons. We’re not there, yet; but, events like Relay For Life are working to get us there, while honoring those lost too soon to this insidious disease. The Chair of Relay For Life of Wicomico, Ashley Clevenger is here to tell us more. Another upcoming event is The 2021 Shorebird Metric Century, which you can check out here.
Imagine packing a lunch and a blanket and spending a cool summer evening listening to Americana, Blues, Country, and Gospel. You can this Saturday evening at Trap Pond State Park. We’re on the Mid South Audio Stage with the band that will be providing those tunes, “The Reminders.”
You can’t look away from the beauty of a Chesapeake Skipjack gliding across the water. It’s history and elegance combined to create a spectacular show. But, don’t be fooled by their beauty. These timeless beasts are the workhorses of the water. This weekend, you can see them in action at the 62nd Annual Skipjack Race and Festival.
When’s the last time you saw a ship like this sailing the seas? Our guess is — never…or maybe in movies. The NAO Santa Maria is one of the most famous tall ships – as it was led by Christopher Colombus and arrived in America in 1492. The replica was constructed a few years ago and right now you can find it in Ocean City!
Can you imagine reeling in a more than 1000 pound fish? Probably not. but the guys on the Billfisher did, and they set a state record. DelmarvaLife’s Katie Zarrilli is going to talk to them about their experience.
From the Mr. Food Test Kitchen:
What happens when you combine the deliciousness of French toast with the sweetness of strawberry cheesecake? You get a breakfast recipe that is nothing short of amazing! The best part? This recipe can be made ahead of time, so that you can just heat ’em up, and head on out! There’s no excuse to miss breakfast, especially when it’s this good!
What You’ll Need
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons strawberry jelly
- 1 egg yolk
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 22 slices white bread, crusts removed
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- Syrup (optional)
- Sliced strawberries and blueberries for topping (optional)
What to Do
- In a medium bowl mix together the cream cheese, strawberry jelly, egg yolk, and 1/4 cup sugar until smooth; set aside.
- With a rolling pin, roll out each slice of bread so it’s about ¼-inch thick. Spread cream cheese mixture over bread, distributing evenly. Roll up each slice jellyroll-style and place seam-side down on a baking sheet.
- In a shallow dish, combine remaining 1/2 cup sugar and the cinnamon. Brush melted butter over rollups then roll them in the cinnamon-sugar mixture, until completely coated. Repeat with remaining rollups, returning them to baking sheet after coating.
- Cover and freeze at least 2 hours or up to 2 months.
- Just before serving, preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Bake rollups 10 to 12 minutes or until golden. Serve as is, or topped with syrup, and/or berries.