What’s Happening Today – October 7, 2021
Today on DelmarvaLife –
The need for mentors is great on Delmarva. We learn about what it means to mentor a student in Wicomico County from Mark Thompson, Mentoring Coordinator with Wicomico County Public Schools.
Students from Seaford Middle School are making an impact in the lives of those who could use a little help as we approach the holiday season. We learn about their project, “Stockings of Love.”
We introduce you to a top-notch team that makes your eyesight, and overall health, their number one priority. 102.5 WBOC’s Leah Rizzo stops by Siri Eye Care, in Cambridge.
The President of the Delaware State Fire Association, Brian Reeder; and Past President, Steven Deery stop by to talk about Fire Prevention Month and the challenges local fire companies are facing.
In today’s Throwback Thursday, “Secrets of the Eastern Shore” Author, Jim Duffy introduces us to Thomas Downing who, in the mid 1800s, reinvented the oyster business.
We’re starting to get a taste of the fall nip in the air, we’re also tasting some new fall flavors from Island Creamery.
It’s the tenth year for Spicer Bros. Delmarva’s Neediest Roof Contest. You have until October 31st to nominate a deserving homeowner by clicking here.
From the Mr. Food Test Kitchen:
This easy snack recipe is sure to put a pep in your step. Why? Because we’re cooking with espresso! These Java Nuts are a fun and creative way to serve up beautiful coffee flavors, just in time for the holidays.
With hints of cinnamon and a special saltiness, they make the perfect pass around at your next holiday party or something extra thoughtful to give as a delectable homemade gift. When a recipe is this simple, tasty, and unique, you can’t go wrong!
Sweet and delicious coffee nuts like these are enjoyable at any time of year, any time of day. If you like coffee, this snack is right up your alley! Especially since they are easy to make, store, and take anywhere.
What You’ll Need
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 egg white
- 2 tablespoons instant espresso granules
- 4 cups walnut halves
Java Nuts Instructions
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine sugar, cinnamon, and salt; mix well and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat egg white and espresso granules until dissolved and frothy. Fold nuts into coffee mixture and toss until evenly coated.
- Sprinkle nuts with sugar mixture and mix until evenly coated. Spread on baking sheet.
- Bake 5 minutes, stir nuts, and continue baking 5 more minutes or until they’re dry to the touch.
- Remove from oven, loosen walnuts from baking sheet, and let cool. Store in an airtight container.
Mr.Food Test Kitchen Tips!
- In case you’re not familiar with Espresso powder, it’s a very strong granulated coffee used to make Espresso. You can find it in your local market along with all the other coffee.
- If you’re looking for even more delicious coffee recipes, try our Chocolate Cappuccino Cookies, or our Cookie ‘n’ Coffee Brownies!
- Try our tasty Mocha Frosting to give your next cake that extra something special.