Today on DelmarvaLife –
We talk scams and learn how to avoid them from Amy McDermott of Seniors Helping Seniors.
Can you imagine writing one book, let alone eight at only 13 years old? We introduce you to Maximo Castellanos.
We’re getting in on some of the fresh and the fabulous offered at Baywater Trading Company, in Hebron. We make Super Simple Bruschetta and Cheddar Broccoli Soup.
At only eight years old, she was already designing jewelry. Today, Jenna Robinson is still doing what she loves for Robinson’s Family of Businesses.
We visit Lakeside Physical Therapy, in Laurel to learn how the team is committed to providing the best possible outcomes with one-on-one, personal care.
From the Mr. Food Test Kitchen:
Sweet Potato Cake
As the weather cools off and fall rolls in, we’re often looking for new and comforting desserts for the season. Our Sweet Potato Cake takes your favorite everyday sweet potatoes and combines them with a few simple ingredients, before topping it with a homemade cream cheese frosting. What you get is a super moist, super cozy cake that the whole family will want a piece of.
What You’ll Need
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/4 cups vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups shredded, peeled sweet potatoes
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts plus 2 tablespoons for garnish
- Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 stick butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
What to Do
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 9- x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer, beat sugar, eggs, oil, and vanilla until well blended. In a medium bowl, whisk flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda, and salt. Gradually beat dry ingredients into egg mixture. Stir in sweet potatoes and 1 cup walnuts. Pour into baking dish.
- Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool completely.
- To make the Cream Cheese Frosting, in a medium bowl with an electric mixer, beat cream cheese, butter, and vanilla until creamy. Slowly beat in confectioners’ sugar until smooth. Spread over cake and sprinkle with remaining walnuts. Refrigerate any leftovers.
Test Kitchen Tips
- We love this Sweet Potato Cake! It’s perfect for the Thanksgiving dessert table! For more desserts the family will love, try our Black Bottom Pecan Pie or this Caramel Pumpkin Poke Cake!
- There’s plenty of ways to make sweet potatoes! We know you’ll love our Caramelized Sweet Potato Crowns, these amazing Country Sweet Potato Muffins, and our Harvest Vegetable Bake!
- What do you think of this Thanksgiving dessert? Tell us in the comments below!
It’s the tenth year for Spicer Bros. Delmarva’s Neediest Roof Contest. You have until October 31st to nominate a deserving homeowner by clicking here.
Mary Shelley’s “Transformation” – Lewes Public Library – 302-645-2733
TidalHealth Nutrition & Diabetes Education invites anyone interested in learning more about diabetes to attend a free education event, “Checking Blood Sugar: Fingersticks or CGM?” on Monday, November 8, 2021. Jack Snitzer, DO, an endocrinologist with TidalHealth Endocrinology in Salisbury, will keynote the session that will look at different ways people with diabetes can check their blood sugar and stay as healthy as possible. An RSVP is required, as space is limited – call at 410-543-7061