Today on DelmarvaLife –
As our loved ones age, their health is one of our main concerns, but they still need to feel valued. That’s where Seniors Helping Seniors comes in. We learn more about this group.
Mental health matters! That’s the message from YDI Apparel. We learn how this company supports mental health awareness efforts.
The Kindness Rocks and Smiles Community Project has come together to kick off a global campaign. We talk with the founders to see why they chose Salisbury for the launch.
In our Throwback Thursday segment, Jim Duffy, of Secrets of the Eastern Shore tells the story of famous storyteller, James Michener.
We’re in the DelmarvaLife Kitchen with Erik Schreiber and Carmel Monfiletto, of CustomFit360 to make a Pumpkin Spice Smoothie and Muffin-Tin Omelets.
Pumpkin Pie Smoothie
1 medium frozen banana
1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk or other nut milk
1/3 cup plain whole-milk Greek yogurt
1/3 cup canned pumpkin puree
1/8 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1-2 teaspoons pure maple syrup
Mix all ingredients in blender until smooth
Italian-Style Chili Pot
Our Italian-Style Chili Pot is always a welcome recipe, especially during the colder months. It’s so versatile you can serve it over pasta, or if you’re on-the-go try putting some into an over-sized mug! Made with lean ground beef, and, of course, the oh-so-yum Italian sausage, this recipe is bursting with flavor and will warm ya up from the inside out.
What You’ll Need
- 2 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 pound Italian sausage, casing removed
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (15-1/2-ounce) cans dark red kidney beans, undrained
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
What to Do
- In a soup pot over high heat, cook ground beef and sausage 5 minutes; add onions and garlic and cook 10 minutes more or until beef is browned, stirring occasionally.
- Add remaining ingredients; mix well and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Test Kitchen Tip
- Top with all your favorite chili toppings from shredded cheese to chopped onions and sliced jalapeno peppers. Oh, and when it comes to the sausage, you can make that as mild or spicy as you’d like. After all, it’s your chili.
- For more warm-ya-up chili recipes, check out our hearty Bread Bowl Chili and, for game day, our Champion Chili Cheese Dip is sure to be a winner!
- We’ve got the best chili dippers around! Try out our Buttery Pilgrim Biscuits, of, if you want a bit of a bite, try our Jalapeno Cheese Biscuits!