What’s Happening Today – November 20, 2020
Today on DelmarvaLife –
It’s the time of the year when the holiday shopping rush starts to set in. Maybe COVID-19 circumstances have you thinking you want to do all of your shopping online this year. If that’s your plan, leaders of a local bank say – you’ve got to be cautious. Credit card fraud issues are on the rise. Katie sat down with the Bank Manager of Provident State Bank in Lewes to find out what we need to know.
The birds on Delmarva are pretty spectacular. They’re a sense of calm in our lives. Maybe that’s why many people like to attract certain birds to their backyards – backyard birding is a growing hobby, especially since the pandemic set in. Consider this your invitation to My Backyard. No, not my actual backyard. We’re talking about a unique shop in Ocean Pines.
We give you the “Scoop” on all the sweet faces ready to go to their fur-ever homes in today’s Pet Connect.
T-4 months until we celebrate all things Irish. Even if the big parties aren’t happening, it’s still fun to wear green and eat a little corned beef. However, for one spot in Downtown Milford, Ireland is celebrated every day of the year. Katie checks out Irish Rose.
These days, you can buy just about anything on the Internet and have it delivered right to your front door. Food, prescriptions, clothes, furniture…the list goes on and on. However, the question you need to ask yourself is – should you? When it comes to heating and cooling your home, Mindy Allen-Townsend of A&A Companies says, no. 102-5 WBOC’s Corey Phoebus finds out why.
One of the key ways to have a Holly Jolly Christmas? Start by spending Black Friday with Jolly Roger Amusement Parks. Katie learns about a world famous seasonal sale.
At the beginning of the show, we showed you a picture perfect sunset in Lewes. Sometimes, something as simple as catching with your camera or experiencing with your eyes a moment like this – can turn your whole day around. The beautiful moments like those are certainly worth celebrating. That’s why we do so every Friday in All That is Good.
No Fuss Salisbury Steak is easy and delicious – it’s certainly our kind of recipe. Check it out below:
What You’ll Need
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons plain bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (8-ounce) package sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 1 3/4 cups beef broth
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
What to Do
- In a large bowl, combine beef, chopped onion, bread crumbs, salt, and pepper; stir well. Shape mixture into 4 patties.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook patties 5 minutes on each side. Remove patties from skillet, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings in skillet. Set patties aside.
- Over medium-high heat, cook mushrooms and sliced onion in drippings 5 minutes, or until tender, stirring constantly. Add broth and Worcestershire sauce to skillet. Return patties to skillet; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes. Remove patties from skillet with a slotted spoon; place on a platter and keep warm.
- In a small bowl, combine water and cornstarch; stir well. Add to broth mixture and bring to a boil; cook 1 minute or until thickened, stirring constantly. Spoon over patties and serve.
Quick reminder…you have until November 27th to read the submissions and vote for the person you think is most deserving of a new, free roof thanks to Spicer Bros. Construction’s “Delmarva’s Neediest Roof Contest.” We’re gonna surprise the winner, next month! To vote, click here.
You have an opportunity to help local families that are struggling to make the holidays happy this year. WBOC’s Bless Our Children campaign is underway. We’ve already raised more than 24,000 dollars, but with a year like 2020 – a lot of families need help. If you’d like to donate, send us a card with a check to Bless Our Children in care of WBOC or donate online at WBOC.com. From the bottom of our hearts – we thank you for giving during such a difficult year.