Today on DelmarvaLife:
With all the decorating this time of year, some people like to really spruce it up with model trains. In fact, for many families, the tree isn’t complete without a train chugging along around the base of it. The folks at the Delmarva Model Railroad Club like to keep the fun of model trains going all year long, but they do use this time of year to open their doors to the public for their Annual Holiday Open House. Here are the dates and times for the open house:
Holiday Open House Dates and Times 2016:
Saturday, Nov 26th from 11am – 4pm
Sunday, Nov 27th from 12pm – 4pm
Saturday, Dec 3rd from 11am – 4pm
Sunday, Dec 4th from 12pm – 4pm
Saturday, Jan 7th from 11am – 4pm
Sunday, Jan 8th from 12pm – 4pm
Saturday, Jan 14th from 11am – 4pm
Sunday, Jan 15th from 12pm – 4pm
There is always that one person on your holiday shopping list who stumps you. They have everything, they want nothing, and you are at a loss. What do you get them for Christmas? Sean stopped by Angello’s Unique Gifts in Salisbury where he found a number of great ideas at what proved to be a one stop Christmas idea shop.
If you need a car, you usually head to a dealership or search for a private seller, but there’s a third option you may have not considered. In fact, it’s how a lot of car dealers pick up inventory. The Delaware Auto Exchange in Felton is open to the public. Sean stops by to find out what a first time attendee should know.
Chef Christian Costantino from Off the Hook in Bethany Beach tells us all about how seafood is something that can be good year round and not just in the warmer months. Today, we’re making seared tuna which Christian says is perfect for this time of year.
Clove Tarragon Crème Fraiche
– 2 cup heavy cream
– 1 bay leaf
– ¼ oz thyme
– 1 ea lemon
– ¼ tbsp. black peppercorn
– ¼ minced tarragon
– ¼ tsp ground clove
1. combine cream, thyme, bay leaf, black peppercorn, tarragon
and clove in bowl.
2. cut lemon in half and squeeze juice into bowl, add lemon
halves into bowl as well.
3. mix together and cover with saran wrap
4. allow to sit out at room temp for 24 hours
5. strain out all ingredients from crème fraiche
– ½ cup toasted walnuts
– 3 tbsp champagne vinegar
– 2 tbsp EVOO
– 1 medium shallot
– 1 tsp whole grain mustard
– ½ tbsp salt
– 1 clove garlic
– 1 tsp lemon zest
– to taste ginger
1. Combine all ingredients in food processor and combine.
2. taste and season once roughly combined
– 2tbsp ground coriander
– 1 tbsp fennel seed
1. toast fennel seed in pan on medium heet until slight browning
2. combine coriander and fennel seed in spice mill and grind,
(food processor also works)
Carrots and Beets
1. wash both carrots and beets in cold water using a rag.
2. peel the beets but not the carrots.
3. thinly slice both using a mandolin (can be purchased at most
cooking equipment stores for low price)
4. toss vegetables in vinaigrette and salt and allow to sit for an
1. bring pan of evoo to high heat (slightly smoking)
2. cover two sides of your tuna in the spice and season with salt
3. Sear on each side for 30 seconds to obtain a rare cooking
Be sure to tune in today at 5 pm!
Our annual holiday giveaway is back! Every weekday throughout November and December, we’ll be giving out prizes. This year you could win a $1,500 Magnolia Home by Joanna Gaines shopping spree at FurnitureLand and over 40 more great prizes to local businesses across Delmarva. Don’t forget to enter daily for additional chances to win! Enter here.
Not every child on Delmarva is fortunate enough to get Christmas gifts. That’s where WBOC’s Bless Our Children Campaign makes a difference. Our goal is to get enough money to local charities so they can buy a present for every child in need here on Delmarva. If you would like to donate and help, send your card and donation to Bless Our Children in Care of WBOC, 1729 N. Salisbury Blvd. 21801 or you can donate online at wboc.com.