What’s Happening Today – May 27, 2020
Today on DelmarvaLife –
For the past few weeks, we’ve put a call out to find the Coolest Masks on Delmarva. After searching and searching, we’ve finally found our winners! We first talk with Maryland winner, Connie Widmann, to find out how her donation paid a sweet tribute to her late son.
There’s a common theme among these Coolest Face Masks winners: their dogs! Annabelle belongs to Tama Viola of Rehoboth Beach and they are the Delaware winners. We’ll hear from them about how this win perfectly aligns with their mission.
Our friends at Mountaire Farms are offering dozens of $2,500 scholarships available to children and grandchildren of employees, poultry growers, and grain producers. We talk with Cathy Bassett, Director of Communications and Community Relations, to find out how to apply and why it’s so important to give back to local students.
How does a campfire under the stars, sleeping in a tent, and eating s’mores sound? The Wicomico Recreation and Parks team will be hosting a virtual backyard bonfire night. We talk with Program Director, Jamie Nichols, to find out when the night is happening and how to submit a ghost story!
There’s a local celebrity entertaining people around the country nightly and she’s got a following of nearly six-thousand people. We talk with Shelley Abbott of Trappe to find out all about Quarantine Karaoke and the positive impact it’s creating. Click here to see her perform.
We have a recipe that is sure to brighten up your day. Lemon Poppy Seed Pound Cake is a delightful treat that will have you hooked from the very first bite. With just the right amount of lemon, this pound cake will quickly become a summer staple perfect for any picnic or potluck. Check out the recipe below.
What You’ll Need
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for dusting
- 2 sticks (1 cup) butter, softened
- 2 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 5 eggs
- 2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Confectioners’ sugar for sprinkling
What to Do
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 12-cup Bundt pan with cooking spray and lightly dust with flour.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer, beat butter and granulated sugar until fluffy. Add eggs and lemon extract and mix until creamy.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt; mix well. Gradually beat flour mixture into lemon mixture, alternating it with milk, until batter is smooth. Stir in poppy seeds and lemon zest. Pour batter into pan.
- Bake 65 to 70 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in cake comes out clean. Let cool 20 minutes, then invert onto a wire rack to cool completely. Sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar.