What’s Happening Today – May 2, 2019
Today on DelmarvaLife –
Lisa’s back from a family vacation in New Orleans with some big news. Congratulations to her son, Sam. He proposed to his girlfriend, Laura, in front of St. Louis Cathedral.
Spicer Bros. Construction Inc, is proud to present their Veteran Roof Giveaway. You can nominate a veteran until May 27, 2019. No purchase necessary, if you know of a veteran that is in need of a new roof but for any reason just can’t afford to have one installed, enter them today. Click here for more information. The winner will be announced on June 13, 2019 at Arthur W. Perdue Stadium.
The Friends of Old Dover have created a one-day-only Dover Museum that will explore how Dover has changed in the past 100 years. “Disappeared Dover” is open 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. May 4 in the lobby of Dover City Hall, 15 Loockerman Plaza.
The band “It’s All Good” has performed on the Mid South Audio Stage before, but today lead singer Aaron Maloney visits Historic Studio D to drum up support for a Laurel woman who suffered a stroke last month. Rita Kernodle has spent her life giving back to others, and encouraging every person with whom she crosses paths. We learn about Rita’s recovery from her fiance’, Duane Musser, and how you can help through Rita’s Recovery.
Although Autism Awareness month is over, there’s plenty more events to raise awareness and funds for the disorder. “Ride for Autism” is one of them happening May 11th in Bridgeville. We learn more about the event from organizers, Bettygrace Eskridge and Heaven Howard.
A Bennett High School Sophomore is, not only at the top of his class, he’s sitting pretty high on top of the world. Marvin Li is one of only sixteen students int he world who landed a perfect score on the College Board’s Advanced Placement U.S. History exam. DelmarvaLife’s Sydney Whitfield got to spend some time with Marvin.
We are using banana peels in a way you probably would have never imagines. Kelcie Mahr joins us in the Kirby and Holloway Kitchen to show us how to make Vegan Banana Peel Pork Sandwiches.
Vegan Banana Peel Pulled Pork Sandwich
Servings- 2 sandwiches
4 bananas- (not quite ripe) you will want green stems and bottoms
3 tbs olive oil
2 tsp paprika
1 1/2 tsp chili powder
1 1/2 tsp dry mustard
1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp cumin
A few splashes of water
4 tbsp sweet baby rays original bbq sauce
A pinch of salt
2 buns (arnold or sara lee artesano bread)
1. Wash the bananas well.
2. Slice the top and bottom off the bananas remove the peels. Scrape the white part off the inside of the peels with a spoon.
3. Shred the peels with a fork and cut them into 2 to 3 inch-long pieces. Transfer to a bowl and add the olive oil, paprika, chili powder, mustard, garlic powder, onion powder and cumin.
4. Heat a pan over medium heat and add the shredded banana peels. Add a small splash of water to help them steam and tenderize.
5. The cooking time will depend on how ripe your bananas are (the riper they are the faster they cook) so start tasting after a couple of minutes. It’s important that they are tender enough to bite through but not so overcooked that they turn to mush. They should be done in around 5 – 10 minutes more or less.
6. Add the barbecue sauce and give them another 30 seconds to a minute more to incorporate the flavor. Add a pinch of salt to taste. Remove from the heat and let cool for a minute.
7. Pile the banana peels on your bun. Serve immediately.
Do you know someone who has a birthday or wedding anniversary coming up? A great way to celebrate is with a DelmarvaLife Occasion. Submit your occasion here.