What’s Happening Today — May 18, 2020
Today on DelmarvaLife –
James M. Bennett High School Graduate and NBC’s The Voice Finalist, Toneisha Harris, talks with us about last week’s performance of “Because You Loved Me” and how it relates to the Delaware State Fair. She also gives us a sneak peek of tonight’s performance as she fights for her spot in the championship.
When COVID first started, hospitals were some of the hardest hit. They quickly had to adapt to a new “normal.” As some states begin to lift restrictions, it’s a wonder how everyone will get back to daily life, especially our local hospitals. Today, we talk with Peninsula Regional Medical Center President and CEO, Steve Leonard, to discuss the recovery timeline and how the hospital has already lifted some restrictions.
As businesses across Delmarva begin to reopen, maybe you’re thinking your home needs a design change? Well, look no further than Monogram Furniture. Katie Zarilli talks with Adele Zaniewski, of Monogram Furniture in West Ocean City, to hear about how your home design style can change with your own personal touch.
As we wait for the day we can reopen the Mid South Audio Stage, we continue to welcome all kinds of performers. Today, we check in with Musician, Bryan Scar, to find out about how he’s holding up. Plus, he’s performing an original song called “Dire Times.”
We love to know what’s going on in your life, especially during quarantine. Today, we hear from Walter Waite, who tell us a story that has taken place over a span of 51 years. It all started in Vietnam when two men met, had a friendly conversation and then went their separate ways. Now, they’ve reunited and it’s all because of a cap.
As Memorial Day Weekend approaches, we have a recipe that will be perfect for your weekend barbecue. Our Texas Two-Step Ribs are just the right amount of saucy and sweet. These barbecue-slathered ribs will quickly become a summer favorite. Check out the recipe below.
What You’ll Need
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 4 pounds pork baby back ribs
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
What to Do
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, combine paprika, onion powder, cumin, celery salt, pepper, and brown sugar; rub seasoning mixture over ribs. Place each rack of ribs on a large piece of aluminum foil. Wrap foil securely, leaving room for steam to circulate; seal edges tightly. Place foil packets on a baking sheet.
- Bake 2 hours, or until meat is fork-tender. Open packets carefully, as steam may be released. Brush ribs with barbecue sauce and place back in oven 15 to 20 minutes, uncovered, or until sauce starts to caramelize.
Unfortunately, our submission period for the Coolest Masks on Delmarva has ended however, voting has started and you can vote for your favorites all week! Two winners will be chosen on Monday, May 25th. Both will receive a $1,000 donation to either The Maryland Food Bank-Eastern Shore or The Food Bank of Delaware made in their name. To vote for your favorites, click here.