What’s Happening Today — May 12, 2020
Today on DelmarvaLife –
We often say, “hunger knows no season” well, in the time of COVID-19, it’s fair to say that “hunger knows no season” or pandemic. The need for food has not stopped and the Maryland Food Bank is working even harder to ensure that no family on Delmarva goes hungry. We talk with Jennifer Small, Maryland Food Bank’s Regional Program Director on the Eastern Shore, to find out how the food bank is serving those in need and ways the community can get involved.
Who would have thought that one of the positives to come out of the pandemic would be the benefit to local bees? Back in January, Katie visited Jim Leether of Victory Garden Apiary to talk about his 21 Honeybee colonies. Now, that number has doubled and Jim is taking care of 44 Honeybee colonies. We talk with him today to find out the impacts of COVID on the colonies and we’re discussing the truths and myths of “Murder Hornets.”
One of the best things about Delmarva is the rich history. If you’ve ever traveled between Dorchester, Sussex, and Caroline Counties, there’s a sign you might have seen and there’s a name on it that might be unfamiliar: Patty Cannon. Have you ever wondered about her? What her story is? We talk with Charles Dean, Eastern Shore Native, to learn more about Patty’s wicked role in history. You can read more about Caroline County history on a Facebook group run by Dean called, “Caroline Past and Present.”
We’re in the kitchen (virtually) with Chef Stewart Davis of Flannery’s Bayou and BBQ. He’s bringing in a Louisiana style recipe that’s guaranteed to make your mouth water. He’s making Shrimp and Crawfish Etouffee.
Need a new idea for weeknight dinner? Try our recipe for American Goulash. Made up of elbow macaroni, mozzarella cheese, and spaghetti sauce, this dish will have you wanting it for dinner every night. Super easy to make, just throw it in the oven and bake! Check out the recipe below.
What You’ll Need
- 1 1/2 to 2 pounds ground beef
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 (24-ounce) jar spaghetti sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 ounces uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
What to Do
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 2-1/2-quart casserole dish with cooking spray.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown ground beef, bell pepper, and onion 6 to 8 minutes, or until no pink remains in the beef, stirring frequently. Drain off excess liquid. Add remaining ingredients except cheese; mix well. Place in prepared casserole dish.
- Cover and bake 25 minutes. Remove from oven, stir, and top with cheese. Return to oven and bake, uncovered, 15 to 20 additional minutes, or until thoroughly heated and the cheese has melted.
Our search for the coolest masks on Delmarva is heating up. We’ve received some great submissions already! Please keep submitting your awesome mask! Two winners will be announced Monday, May 25th and will receive a $1,000 donation in their name to either The Maryland Food Bank-Eastern Shore or The Food Bank of Delaware. To submit a photo, click here.