What’s Happening Today – May 12, 2016
Today on DelmarvaLife:
Beards and Brews Event
One of our producers, Mike, gets a hot shave for a great cause! You can get a hot shave as well at an event called Beards and Brews coming up on Saturday, May 14 at Envision Eye Care. A portion of the proceeds benefits Children’s Beach House in Lewes, Del. which gives special needs children the opportunity to enjoy the beach
WBOC’s Steve Hammond Sits Down with Vice President, Joe Biden
Steve traveled to Washington, D.C. to conduct a one-on-one interview with Joe Biden. Steve stops by the DelmarvaLife studio to tell us about the experience. Watch the full one-on-one interview tonight on WBOC News at 6 pm.
Human Trafficking is a Real Issue Right Here on Delmarva
Ed Thomas, member of the Eastern Shore Human Trafficking Task Force and a coordinator with “Aglow,” which is an anti-human trafficking organization. Ed also tells us about an upcoming event to bring attention to this problem. The event is on Monday, May 16 at Regal Cinemas in Salisbury, Md. from 7:30 pm – 9:30 pm. The event includes an introduction, film, and Q&A.
Learning About the Health Condition, Cooley’s Anemia
We learn about a health condition, that perhaps you’ve never heard of. It’s called Cooley’s Anemia, or Thalassemia. Maria Teresa Morrison, the Delaware District Governor of “Unico” and David Jones, President of the Delmarva Chapter of Unico, join us in the DelmarvaLife studio to tell us all about the health condition. They have an upcoming event, Cooley’s Anemia Awareness Symposium, on Saturday May 14 at St. Edmond Education Center in Rehoboth, Del. at 11 am. The event includes a lecture, Q&A, luncheon, and a walk.
In the Kitchen with Lynn Matava from The Country Tart Making Cleaned Up Chicken Nuggets
We’re cooking up a healthy version of a kids favorite today in the DelmarvaLife kitchen. Lynn Matava with The Country Tart joins us to make cleaned up chicken nuggets and strawberry moo milk. Try these recipes out with your kids!
Cleaned up Chicken Nuggets:
- 1/4 cup whole grain cornmeal (the kind without the germ removed)
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour (or flour of your choice, such as rice, chestnut, coconut, teff)
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 2-4 tbsp. crumbs made from crushing dried, crusty stale bread (optional)
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese (optional, but allows the coating to stick much better)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 pinch of sea salt
- 1 cup milk of choice (dairy or can use almond milk, gives a nice nutty flavor)
- 1 chicken breast, cut into cubes or strips
- Approximately 1/4 cup of cooking oil of choice (we used expeller pressed coconut oi for the high smoke point)
1 -Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2 – Mix all dry ingredients well.
3 – In large bowl, beat egg into milk. Toss in the chicken pieces.
3 – Drain nuggets but do not pat dry. Drop 2-3 pieces at a time into dry mixture, just to coat. Transfer them to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
4 – Lightly coat the breaded chicken in oil (can use a sprayer or gently drizzle with oil)
5 – Place the baking sheet in the oven and bake for 18-22 minutes or until coating is crisp and chicken is baked through. To test doneness, break open a nugget. It should break apart easily and be opaque and cooked all the way through without being dry.
- 8 ounces milk of your choice (dairy, almond, soy, etc)
- 4 strawberries, plus 2 for garnish (3 ounces total), rinsed and tops removed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons raw honey*
Reserving two strawberries for garnish, add all remaining ingredients to a blender. Whip up until frothy. Divide into two glasses, garnish each with an additional strawberry.
Hope you enjoy the show!
Request tickets to the show
Like us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Subscribe to our YouTube channel