What’s Happening Today – June 8, 2021
Today on DelmarvaLife –
Alonna Berry is the founder and chair of The Bryan Allen Stevenson School of Excellence. The Georgetown-based free, public charter high school is scheduled to open in the fall of 2023.
The Matrix Mavens, Maryland State U13 Soccer Champions, join us to talk about their big win and show us some of their skills!
It’s girl power — on the radio! We’ll meet the all-new, all-female lineup on WBOC 102.5 FM!
Chef Loy Ortiz from Thompson Island in Rehoboth is here to show us how to make flash-fried soft shell crabs with a Mexican street corn salad. Here’s the recipe:
Buttermilk Flash Fried Soft-Shell Crabs w/ Roasted Corn & Heirloom Tomato Salad
Chef Lou Ortiz Thompson Island Brewery
- 2 fresh cleaned jumbo soft-shell crabs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- Pinch white pepper
- Pinch kosher salt
- Pinch Tajin spice
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 whole beaten eggs
- 1 tbsp hot sauce
- ½ gallon canola oil
In a large bowl mix flour, corn starch, pepper, salt and tajin. Set aside
In another large bowl whisk buttermilk, eggs and hot sauce. Set aside.
Heat oil to 360 degrees in an electric tabletop fryer.
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- ¾ cup olive oil
- 2 tsp minced chipotle peppers in adobe
- 2 tsp agave or honey
- 2 tsp Dijon
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- Pinch salt
In a medium size jar add all ingredients. Secure lid and shake until well incorporated.
- 2 cups arugula
- 4 oz roasted corn of the cobb
- 1 oz. julienned red onion
- 2 oz. crumbled or grated queso fresco
- 2 cups sliced tomatoes
- Pinch kosher salt
- Pinch cracked black pepper
Shave corn of the cobb. In a large bowl add arugula, tomatoes, red onion and queso fresco.
Assembly: Once the oil is to temperature, dip each crab into the buttermilk soak and then dredge with seasoned flour. Slowly add one crab at a time to the hot fryer. Fry for 2 minutes. Once done set aside on a paper lined plate. Next toss the salad with dressing and place on a serving plate. Top the salad with the golden-brown crispy crabs. Season with Tajin and more queso fresco. Serve immediately.
And today in the Mr. Food Test Kitchen —
Have a taste of your childhood favorite with our Blueberry Lemonade! This is a super easy way to keep refreshed under the summer sun. Fresh squeezed lemons and beautifully tart blueberries make a fantastic combo in our most stunning drink recipe yet! You and your crew are going to go crazy over this “berry” tasty beverage.
What You’ll Need
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (4 to 5 large lemons)
- 3 cups ice cubes
- 4 cups sparkling water or club soda
What to Do
- In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, water, blueberries, and lemon zest. Bring to a boil over medium heat, then simmer 8 to 10 minutes or until blueberries start to burst, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and pour through a fine sieve, discarding blueberry skins. Let blueberry mixture cool.
- In a large pitcher, combine blueberry syrup, lemon juice, and ice; mix well. When ready to serve, stir in the sparkling water.