What’s Happening Today – June 4, 2020
Today on DelmarvaLife –
Addie Lapiniski is nine years old and battling cancer. Adam Diehl is fifteen years old and a competitive swimmer. You’re probably wondering what these two have in common with each other. Well, when Adam’s swimming practices were paused due to COVID, he set a new goal with his athletic abilities – he wanted to bear crawl for a mile to raise money for Addie. We talk with Adam to hear about the overwhelming response he’s been getting and when the bear crawl event is taking place.
Many of the places on Delmarva that we know and love, Delmarva treasures we call them, were temporarily shut down due to COVID. But, we have some great news, one of those Delmarva Treasures, The Milton Theatre, is open! We talk with J-P Lacap, Marketing Director, to find out what changes the theatre has made and what’s in store for the future.
Yesterday, we spoke about the importance of continuing to support local business. A good way to support local businesses are through local restaurants. Especially as Governor Hogan has allowed restaurants to open for outdoor dining. Layton’s Chance Vineyard and Winery in Lewes has done just that. We talk with Jennifer Layton to hear about some of the precautions they’re taking and what “Wednesday Winnings with Jen and William” are.
Imagine if you could treat pain and issues in your body without having to add another medication to the list or undergo surgery. Well, it’s a possibility. It’s all thanks to a place called P-A Green Wellness in Lewes. Before COVID, DelmarvaLife’s Katie Zarilli stopped by to find out about regenerative medicine.
We’ve been talking a lot about local businesses. And when you think about local business, you’re probably thinking about a restaurant, a hair salon, a clothing store but, what about a butcher shop? We’re checking in with Bryan Hickman of Hickman Meat Market, to find out how the butcher shop has been holding up and he shares some tips on summer grilling. We’re also learning how to filet meat.
We have a quick and easy dinner recipe that will only take about 15 minutes. Our recipe for Quick-as-a-Wink Pasta is flavorful and loaded with sausage, peppers, and onions. You’ll be hooked from the very first bite. Check out the recipe below:
What You’ll Need
- 1 pound Italian-style turkey sausage, casing removed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (14-1/2-ounce) cans diced tomatoes with basil and oregano, undrained
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pound rotini, twists, or spiral pasta
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
What to Do
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook the sausage, onion, bell pepper, and garlic until no pink remains in the sausage. Reduce heat to low and add tomatoes, mushrooms, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper; simmer 10 minutes, or until thoroughly heated.
- Meanwhile, prepare pasta according to package directions; drain, rinse, and drain again. Place pasta on a large serving platter.
- Spoon sausage mixture over pasta and top with mozzarella cheese. Serve immediately.