What’s Happening Today – June 4, 2019
Today on DelmarvaLife –
Everyone wants white teeth when they smile, but some of what we eat and drink can make that seem next to impossible. Dr. Irene Sakellis, with Delmarva Dental Services joins us to talk about the different kinds of stains we can get on our teeth and what we need to do to keep our teeth stain-free.
An upcoming event in Georgetown is tackling every angle of addiction in hopes of promoting prevention and recovery. “A Day of Hope” takes place Wednesday, June 12th and will include a panel discussion on how addiction impacts the family. Grant Manager for the Sussex County Health Coalition, Lisa Coldiron; and the Executive Director of the Vines Community Project, Rev. Carol Harris talk about the event.
Living so close to the coast, many on Delmarva like to decorate with the coastal style. 102.5 WBOC’s Corey Phoebus visits Coastline Furnishings in Lewes to see how the team there can help you do just that.
The Hebron Fireman’s Carnival is back for another summer and kicks off tomorrow. The Delmarva tradition dates back to the 1920s and always proves to be a blast for the whole family. Fire Department President Greg Howard joins us in the studio to fill us in on what’s new and exciting at the carnival this year.
We are putting an Eastern Shore twist on the classic Eggs Benedict in the DelmarvaLife Kitchen with the help of Steve Potts, owner of Bill’s Prime Seafood and Steaks in Chincoteague. He also shows us how to make Pepper Crusted Seared Ahi Tuna on Cinnamon Mashed Sweet Potatoes.
Eastern Shore Eggs Benedict
4 whole eggs
4 pieces of cornbread, warmed
4 slices Virginia ham, warmed in a skillet
Dash of paprika
3 egg yolks
Juice of 2 whole lemons
2 sticks butter, melted and slightly cooled
Dash of salt
- Add the egg yolks to a blender or a food processor. Add in the lemon juice and blend for several seconds. With the blender on, slowly drizzle in the melted butter. Turn off the blender and add in a little salt. Whip it again until combined. Set this aside for a minute. Next, poach an egg by gently cracking an egg into simmering, slightly bubbling water. Leave the egg alone for 2 to 2 1/2 minutes, and then remove it with a slotted spoon and carefully place it on a plate. Repeat with the remaining eggs. To serve, place cornbread on a plate. Top the cornbread with a warm slice of Virginia ham. Place the warm poached egg on top. And then drizzle on some warm hollandaise. Sprinkle a little paprika or top.
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, plus butter for baking dish
1 cup cornmeal
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoon sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Lightly grease an 8-inch baking dish.
- In a large bowl, mix together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the eggs, buttermilk, and butter. Pour the buttermilk mixture into the cornmeal mixture and fold together until there are no dry spots (the batter will still be lumpy). Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish.
- Bake until the top is golden brown and tester inserted into the middle of the corn bread comes out clean, about 20 to 25 minutes. Remove the cornbread from the oven and let it cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Pepper Crusted Ahi Tuna
on cinnamon spiked mashed sweet potatoes
- 1- 8 oz Sushi grade Ahi tuna or 2- 4oz. smaller pieces
- 2 tbs roasted red pepper & garlic seasoning
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1-tsp butter
- 3- 4 tbsp. canola oil (enough to cover bottom of frying pan)
In a shallow bowl or plate, mix together roasted red pepper & garlic seasoning with freshly cracked black pepper. Press the tuna steak firmly into the seasoning, coating only one side.
Heat the oil to about 350 degrees the tuna and sear a couple of minutes.
Flip the fish and sear another 2 minutes.
If you like your fish to be less raw, sear 3 or 4 minutes per side. It also depends on the thickness of the tuna.
Place mashed sweets on plate, top with seared Ahi, drizzle with butter.
2- sweet potatoes (baked, peeled & mashed)
2-Tbsp brown sugar
1- Tsp butter (melted)
Do you know someone who has a birthday or wedding anniversary coming up? A great way to celebrate is with a DelmarvaLife Occasion. Submit your occasion here.