What’s Happening Today – June 15, 2020
Today on DelmarvaLife –
We could all use a pep talk now, and again. The Kid Professor, Landon Pickett of Lincoln, Delaware is providing pep talks for all who need them. Jimmy talks with Landon and his dad about this effort to bring a smile to everyone’s faces.
The official start of summer is less than a week away, and a popular spot to visit and enjoy Delmarva’s wildlife and water is Assateague Island National Seashore. We chat with assistant public information officer Kelly Taylor about what folks can expect this season, and how the last few months have been.
Even though much of Delmarva was shut down during COVID-19, ocean mammels still sought safety along our beaches. That meant the Marine Education Research and Rehabilitation, or MERR Institute kept busy. We talk with executive director, Suzanne Thurman about their mission and what changes they have had to make as a result of the pandemic.
Spring and Summer are great times to get out and watch native birds in her habitat, but organized bird-watching trips had to be put off for a while. That changes next weekend. We check in with Dave Wilson of Delmarva Birding Weekends.
A sign that things are starting to get close to normal: The David Langsberger YMCA in Chincoteague re-opened its doors on Friday. The YMCA of the Chesapeake Maryland facilities will open this Saturday. We learn what to expect as we head back in for exercise.
The X-Squad Dancers in Selbyville are trying to find the new normal as they gear up for summer camps. Find out how these camps will be different to follow COVID-19 guidelines. We also meet a new member to the X-Squad family.
Mexican Corn Bread Salad is a colorful layered salad that tastes like a fiesta in a bowl. This novel summer salad looks as awesome as it tastes, and is a fantastic recipe to share at potlucks or other summer parties. These layers are sure to impress and the taste is second to none. Anyone would be proud to have this party recipe in their cookbook!
What You’ll Need
- 1 (1-ounce) package dry ranch-style dressing mix
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 6 corn bread muffins
- 2 (16-ounce) cans pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (16-ounce) package frozen corn, thawed
- 3 large tomatoes, chopped
- 10 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 6 scallions, sliced
What to Do
- In a small bowl, combine dressing mix, sour cream, and mayonnaise; set aside.
- Crumble half the corn muffins into a large glass bowl or trifle dish. Place a layer of beans over corn muffins, then bell pepper, half of dressing mixture, corn, tomatoes, bacon, remaining corn muffins, remaining dressing mixture, cheese, and scallions.
- Cover and chill at least 2 hours before serving.
Check This Out!
Berlin has been nominated as one of 18 candidates for “Best Small Town for Shopping” as part of the USA Today 10 Best Readers’ Choice competition this month. Click here to vote.