What’s Happening Today — June 11, 2020
Today on DelmarvaLife –
In these past two or three weeks, tens of thousands of people have taken to the streets in a global call for racial equality. Next Friday marks the 155th anniversary of an early victory in the fight, Juneteenth. On June 19th, 1865, the last enslaved African-Americans found out they were free. We talk with Ben Simons, Director of the Academy Art Museum in Easton, to find out about a virtual celebration happening next week.
We’re two weeks into hurricane season and we’ve already seen some big storms sweep across Delmarva. As weather watchers are keeping an eye out for storms so are are local animal shelters. We talk with Linda Torelli, Marketing Director with the Brandywine Valley SPCA, to find out how organizations are keeping animals safe as we get deeper into hurricane season.
We know summers are hot, sticky and sweaty. It’s hard to find clothes and accessories that accommodate the weather. Well, our friends at Vernon Powell have you covered. 102-5 WBOC’s, Corey Phoebus, stopped by to show how you can stay cool this summer.
You probably thought nothing could be weirder than having to stay in your house for months as we fight a global pandemic. But we’ll do you one weirder, everybody knows Ripley’s Believe It or Not in Ocean City and its’ oddities. But perhaps the most odd? Ripley’s being closed. We talk with General Manager, Brandon Ely, to get an update on Ripley’s and what the outlook for the summer season is.
Earlier this week, we visited with Carrie Sammis to find out how Princess Anne is holding up during COVID. She stopped by Squeaky’s Cafe (and made us hungry for a scrapple sandwich) so, we’re checking in with them today! Owners Ed and Orlena Wilkes are talking with us about their reopening tomorrow. They’re also making something delicious!
This pie breaks all the rules of traditional pies. Our Cracker Onion Pie is half dip, half side dish. Made up of a crispy crust and a cheesy onion filling, this pie is guaranteed to be a hit! Check out the recipe below.
What You’ll Need
- 1 1/2 cups finely crushed saltine crackers
- 3/4 cup butter, melted, divided
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced (see Note)
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup (2-ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
What to Do
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 9-inch pie plate with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine cracker crumbs and 1/2 cup melted butter. Press into bottom and up sides of pie plate, forming a crust. Refrigerate until ready to fill.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, saute onions in remaining 1/4 cup butter 10 to 12 minutes or until tender. Carefully pour onion mixture into crust.
- In a medium bowl, whisk eggs, milk, salt, and pepper until well beaten; slowly pour over onions. Sprinkle cheese evenly over top.
- Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until golden and center is set. Let stand 5 minutes, then cut into wedges and serve.
Check This Out!
- We like to use Vidalia onions in this pie for an unbeatable sweet onion flavor!
- Want some great tips and tricks on slicing and dicing onions? Be sure to check out our How To Cut an Onion page!