What’s Happening Today – July 28, 2021
Today on DelmarvaLife –
The spotlight on the contributions to society, made by people with disabilities, continues to shine. We’ll introduce you to Marissa, next — a young woman who, more than anything, is looking forward to walking across the stage to accept her college diploma.
You walk into a restaurant and see several empty tables and are told there is a 45 minute wait. You stand in line to check out in a grocery store where there is only one register open. Chances are, these scenarios are all the result of short staffing at businesses. The “why” is something that can be debated. So today, we want to focus on the solution. To help us do that is Mary Ellen Carter with Express Employment Professionals.
You spend years saving for your dream home renovation. You have the plans, the vision. but then you’re told the project will cost up to 40% more than what you expected. Talk about a punch in the gut. We’ll talk with the President of Spicer Bros. Construction, Brian Spicer about it.
“You are what you eat,” and what you eat can help you see. We’re learning about foods that can not only promote eye health, but possibly reverse eye damage, with Chesapeake Eye Center..
Melman The Giraffe. Frisbee Catching Fritz. Sights to see at the Delaware State Fair that might not surprise you. But what about an exploding hotdog?! How’s that for shocking?! Thanks to Delaware Electric Cooperative, you can see that too!
The Delaware State Parks Concert Series has been filling the night air with terrific tunes this summer! We still have another month of family fun and music. One of the superstars set to take the stage this Friday, John Palombo joins us virtually today.
In The Mr. Food Test Kitchen…
It’s time to pinch pennies, and Howard’s got exactly what you need. Pick up a pack or two of chicken thighs to make our Teriyaki Chicken Thighs. The only thing this recipe doesn’t cut corners on is taste! Our homemade teriyaki marinate is the key to a dinner your family, and your wallet, will appreciate every time it hits the table.
What You’ll Need
- 8 bone-in chicken thighs (about 4 pounds)
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 5 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 clove garlic, minced
What to Do
- Place chicken in a large resealable plastic bag. In a small bowl, combine remaining ingredients; mix well and add to chicken. Seal bag, gently shake to coat, and marinate in refrigerator for about 8 hours or overnight, turning occasionally.
- Preheat grill or grill pan to medium heat. Drain chicken, reserving marinade.
- Place chicken on grill or grill pan and cook for 10 minutes per side, or until no pink remains, basting often with the marinade, but only up until the last five minutes of cooking (see note).