What’s Happening Today – July 25, 2018
Today on DelmarvaLife –
WBOC’s Lauren Hitch had a close-up view of this morning’s 93rd Annual Chincoteague Pony Swim. She was aboard a small boat that was herding the ponies toward shore. About 120 ponies successfully made the swim from Assateague to Chincoteague. Watch it here!
Watch WBOC’s Facebook Live coverage of the pony swim –>>https://www.facebook.com/WBOCTV16/videos/10156577822949539/
Today we are celebrating a couple of She-ros! The Executive Director of the Art League of Ocean City, Rina Thaler and Artist, Deborah Rolig are both in the studio today to tell us about the SHEro Awards. It’s a ceremony created to honor unsung women heroes here on Delmarva. The SHEro Awards are part of the “SHE” art show that will fill the galleries of the Arts Center during September. It’s all curated by Deborah Rolig, with the assistance of her sister, Dee Gray. The Art League of Ocean City is still seeking nominations for the SHEro Awards of women who are grass-roots givers. However, SHEro nominees do not have to be related to the arts, bust must be residents of Delmarva and 18 years of age or older. All nominees will be acknowledged in print, and five outstanding nominees will be selected to receive an award and public recognition at the awards ceremony on Sept. 14. Nominations must be received at the Arts Center by August 14, 2018 and may be delivered in person or mailed to the Art League of Ocean City. Community members are invited to nominate heroic women for the 2018 SHEro Awards that will be presented on Friday, Sept. 14 at 6 p.m. at the Ocean City Center for the Arts.
We’re also getting the help from audience members Cameron Mason of Fruitland and Daphne Min of Salisbury to play a game of Picture This!
Here on Delmarva we have something called the Chesapeake Cowboys. They’re just like normal cowboys, but their herd is a fleet of boats! This Sunday, July 29th at 1pm, you can see the best Extreme Boat Docking teams in action at the Wicomico Yacht Club in Eden. It’s a WBOC sponsored event that we look forward to every year. We sent 102-5 WBOC’s Corey Phoebus out on the water to get a preview of what to expect on Sunday!
Today, we’re putting a popular spin on some popular fair foods. Chef Sharliena Berry-Jenkins, Owner of Karmic Creations Catering is here with us to make Low Carb Taquitos and Apple Nachos.
Low Carb Taquitos
1 tbs of oil
1 Can spicy black beans strained
½ Green Pepper Sliced
½ Red Pepper Sliced
1 tbs of cumin
2 tsp of salt
1 tsp of garlic minced
3 tbs of cream cheese
Low Carb tortillas 8 ct
1 bag of shredded taco cheese
1/3 Cup oil
2 Roma tomatoes diced for garnish
1. Add 1 tbs oil to pan on medium-high heat
2. Add peppers and onions, cook until slightly tender
3. Add black beans, cumin, salt, and garlic. Allow any liquid to
4. Reduce heat to medium add cream cheese. Mix until
5. Take the pan off the heat and set aside.
6. Mix corn starch and a little water together to form a paste.
7. Brush the edge of one tortilla with cornstarch mixture. This
will be the glue to hold the taquitos together.
8. Add a few tablespoons of the bean mixture, and some
cheese to each tortilla.
9. Roll tightly and press at the seal.
10. Heat 1/3 cup oil in pan on medium Heat
11. Fry taquitos on all sides until golden brown
12. Place taquitos on paper towel to drain oil.
13. Garnish with Spicy Green Sauce and Tomato
Bag of pre-sliced apples (any kind)
Sugar free caramel syrup
Sugar free chocolate syrup
Melted Peanut butter or almond butter
Favorite granola or protein bar diced
1. Toss apples in a little Cinnamon
2. Add toppings as little or as much as you like.
3. Enjoy, make it fun and healthy!