What’s Happening Today – July 24, 2020
Today on DelmarvaLife –
Two young women are on a mission to clean up their community. We talk with Alexandra Johnson and Brianna Mitchell of Ocean Pines about their mission to pick up trash and why you should be doing it too.
Teen years are hard enough. Puberty, high school…it’s all just a lot. But, imagine being a teen with a physical disability. Your teenage life is ever changing, and transitions can become much harder. That’s where the Delaware Disability HUB Tradition website comes in – it’s not just for teens and not just for people of Delaware. To view their transition website, click here.
There’s a furry friend on Delmarva who needs our help. Blossom is currently at the Worcester County Humane Society in Berlin (and in the above picture). She has been there for 9 out of her 11 years of life. The staff recently learned Blossom has a large cell lymphoma and may only have a short time left. The staff is looking for toys and treats so that they can spoil her rotten and make the best of her life in these last days. Blossom is just one example of how you can help our furry friends on Delmarva, another way is to adopt or foster. Good news for you! We have some sweet faces ready to go their fur-ever home in today’s Pet Connect. To send toys/treats, please call the Worcester County Humane Society.
Last fall, we introduced you to Matt Spence and his squad at Worm’s Carpet Care & Commercial Cleaning. They’re the crew folks have been calling for two plus decades. Local daycare owners say Worm’s is the way to go. Katie recently visited Greenwood to find out why.
Why in the world would anyone want to subject themselves to the physical pain that can come from Mixed Martial Arts (MMA). We didn’t understand until we met a guy named Taylor “Pretty Boy” McMahan and it all become clear. For Taylor, the “fight life” is a passion – one that he has put his entire heart and soul into. A life, that he just wants us all of us to understand. Before social distancing, 102-5 WBOC’s Corey Phoebus visited Taylor at his gym to find out what MMA is all about. Hold on tight, this one gets wild!
Whether it was Dr. Fauci’s wild pitching, two gals cleaning up on Delmarva, or watching Corey take on the best of them, there was a whole lot of good, in just today’s show alone! So what do you think about looking back the entire week? We have another round of “All That is Good.”
Full of zesty flavor, the recipe for Italian Tortellini Salad is guaranteed to blow you away. So, grab a bowl and enjoy this refreshing salad (and all the pasta!). Check out the recipe below:
What You’ll Need
- 1 (19-ounce) package frozen three cheese tortellini
- 2 (1/2-inch-thick) slices deli salami, 1/4-inch diced
- 1/4 cup sliced pepperoni, cut in half
- 1 (15-ounce) can quartered artichokes, drained well
- 1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 2 (1/2-inch-thick) slices deli provolone cheese, 1/4-inch diced
- 1 cup black olives
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
What to Do
- Cook tortellini according to package directions; drain, rinse, and drain again.
- In a large bowl, combine tortellini, salami, pepperoni, artichokes, tomatoes, provolone cheese, olives, onion, and parsley.
To Make Dressing:
- To make the Red Wine Vinaigrette, in a small bowl, whisk together all vinaigrette ingredients. Pour over tortellini mixture and toss until evenly coated. Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.