What’s Happening Today – July 16, 2018
Today on DelmarvaLife:
It’s an annual event 93 years strong and it still amazes and captivates crowds from around the globe. Of course we are talking about the Pony Swim in Chincoteague, Va. DelmarvaLife’s Sydney Whitfield got to head out on the water to see where this magical event takes place and talks with someone who has seen every swim since she was a little girl. You can watch the Chincoteague Pony Swim live on WBOC’s Facebook and on FOX21.
Another Monday means another list of the men and women, local authorities say, have committed a crime and are on the run. This week’s Most Wanted Monday is coming your way, and it might lead to some extra cash in your pocket if you call in a tip to Crime Solvers of the Lower Eastern Shore. Check out the list here.
Watermelon season is here and it’s time to celebrate with the Annual Watermelon Festival at Wright’s Market. We learn more about the festival, including how this year’s celebration will help a local veteran and his family get into a new home.
Speaking on watermelon, we have the Mar-Del Watermelon Queen, Gabrielle Hastings, in the Kirby and Holloway kitchen today. We’re getting to know the queen as she makes a couple of tasty watermelon dishes.
Nachos with Watermelon Avocado Salsa
- 1 avocado, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1 can 4 ounce diced green chiles, drained
- 2 tablespoons diced red onion
- 1 1/2 cups diced watermelon
- dash salt (to taste)
- 16 ounce can fat-free refried beans
- 11 ounces corn tortilla chips
- 1 1/2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup fat-free sour cream
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Salsa: Combine the first 6 ingredients in a medium bowl and toss to thoroughly mix. Add watermelon and toss gently. Set aside. (Makes about 2 1/3 cups salsa.)
3. Heat beans over medium heat until hot. Mash if preferred.
4. Assemble nachos: Place chips on an oven-proof flat plate or cookie sheet and then top with beans, then cheese. Repeat layers as desired. Heat in oven for 10 minutes or until cheese has melted and chips are hot.
5. Top with salsa mixture (all of it or some with the rest placed in a bowl along side for dipping) and then sour cream.
- 1 watermelon round cut into 1” (for crust)
- varied amount shredded coconut
- varied amount Greek yogurt of choice
- varied amount Mint
- varied amount Berries of choice (blueberries, strawberries, blackberries)
- varied amount Slivered almonds
- Spread yogurt to cover watermelon leaving room to hold the rind.
- Sprinkle watermelon pizza with coconut through almond toppings as desired.
Have you heard that one of the hottest country music singers on the scene is coming to Delmarva? Jake Owen is performing at Hudson Fields in Milton on July 18. Listen to win your tickets on Chesapeake County 106.3! Or if you’d like to purchase tickets of your own, go here.
We continue our giveaways in the 2018 DelmarvaLife Summer Guide. We announce three winners today. Will you be one of them?