What’s Happening Today – January 4, 2019
Today on DelmarvaLife –
The Facebook sensation, Pip the Cat, joins us in Historic Studio D! He even has his fan club with him! Pip has become a local star as he takes adventures and volunteers across Delmarva. He’s also coming out with a Children’s guidebook that will teach kids about Ocean City and inspire readers to follow their dreams.
102.5 WBOC’s Corey Pheobus stopped by Dicarlo Digital Copy Center in Salisbury to see how you can bring your old photos back to life.
From the Beatles to The Who, and Led Zeppelin to the Hollies, the British Invasion Experience wants you to join their passion for the 1960s as they perform on the Mid South Audio Stage! They’re going to be performing at Wicomico Youth & Civic Center in Salisbury on January 12th. You can get tickets by January 10th at noon. Click here for more information.
The Delmarva Stargazers Society is offering a free telescope training session tomorrow. Members of Stargazers will check your telescope’s alignment, show you how to do that and set up the finder-scope. The free telescope training session is tomorrow from 10:30 a-m to 12:30 p-m at Smyrna Presbyterian church in Smyrna.
You still have time to make it to the 33rd annual Delmarva Model Railroad Club open house. You can check out more than 8-thousand square feet of operating train layouts. The open house is Saturday, January 5th from 11 a-m to 4 p-m and Sunday, January 6th from noon to 4 p-m at 103 East State Street in Delmar.
Now you watch nature without leaving the comfort of your home or office with the Waterfowl cam at Blackwater National Refuge. The camera displays live views from migratory waterfowl ponds at the Dorchester County refuge. The waterfowl cam is a project of the friends of blackwater. It even has a microphone so you can hear nature. The camera rotates between a variety of different vantage points every couple of minutes.
Looking ahead to next weekend, the Worcester County Homeless Board, in partnership with Red Doors Community Center, will host a viewing of the film: Lost in Woonsocket. Lost in Woonsocket is a docudrama following two homeless individuals on a journey of recovery, friendship, struggle, and support. The viewing of lost in Woonsocket is Sunday, January 13th at 5 p-m at the Red Doors Community Center in Berlin.
Efrain Martinez from Papa Grande’s in Fenwick Island joins us in the Kirby and Holloway Kitchen to show us how to create a twist on the comfort classic: Mac and Cheese Grilled cheese with Avocado, Romesco and Cheddar Jack.
- 6 large roasted red peppers
- 1/2 cup toasted slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 slice of white bread in cubes
- In a small pot, add the oil and cook the garlic till golden brown, after that the bread and almonds
- Place all ingredients into a food processor or blender, and blend until smooth.
- A food processor will make for a chunkier sauce, whereas the blender will make for a smoother sauce.
Chorizo Mac n Cheese
- 1 ½ lbs ground Mexican chorizo
- 2 cup chopped onions
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh garlic
- ½ cup poblano and red peppers mix
- 2 ½ heavy cream
- 1 ½ cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 ½ cup jack cheese
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 ½ lbs cooked elbow pasta
- In a pan sauté chorizo and let it cook on his own fat till start breaking a part, add onions and let it cook till translucent, add garlic, butter and the mix peppers and cook till they get soft.
- Add heavy cream, let the mixture boil and add the Parmesan and jack cheese.
- As soon the sauce starts turning creamy add cilantro and pasta. Toss the pasta in the sauce.
- Let it cold down in a sheet tray.
Chorizo Mac n Cheese Grilled Cheese
- 1 sliced brioche bread loaf
- 3 pieces of Mac n cheese in squares
- 12 cooked bacon strips
- 1 cup romesco sauce
- fresh avocados
- A couple slices pepper jack cheese
- 2 tbsp butter.
- 1 qt cilantro tomato basil soup
- Spread bread romesco sauce in 2 slices of bread.
- Put 3 slices of pepper jack cheese on each slice of bread.
- Put 1 square on Mac n cheese on one slice, set all it in a small baking tray and bake in the oven for 3 minutes at 375.
- Add 3 slices of bacon and throw it back in the oven for another 3 minutes.
- Pull it out add half of the avocado in slices and top it with the other half of bread with the melted cheese.
- Melt some butter in a small pan and toast the 2 faces of the sandwich till you get a nice golden color.
- Serve with a cup of cilantro tomato and basil soup.
Cilantro Tomato Basil Soup
- 2 cup chopped onions
- 2 tbsp finely chopped garlic
- 1 ½ cup chopped basil
- 1 cup cilantro
- 1 qt milk
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 2 cup heavy cream
- 1 ½ Parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 6 lbs Can chopped tomatoes
- Salt pepper to taste
- In a dip pot cook onions with oil, add garlic and butter when the onions get translucent, add basil and cilantro and let it cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, salt pepper and let it boil. Stirring every 2 minutes.
- Add heavy cream and milk, let it simmer.
- In the very end add the Parmesan cheese and blend till you get the consistency you decide.