What’s Happening Today – January 13, 2021
Today on DelmarvaLife –
Maryland Governor Larry Hogan announced Tuesday that a new strain of COVID-19 has made its way to the state. We talk with TidalHealth Peninsula Regional Chief Quality Officer, Dr. Chris Snyder about what that could mean for us.
It’s Wellness Wednesday. We visit the Worcester County Health Department to hear about the importance and power of compassion, particularly when it comes to people battling addiction.
COVID Concerns will not stop the celebration of the life and legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. We talk with leaders from the Tri-County MLK Coalition about how they are adapting to honor the achievements of the late civil rights leader.
The historic Milton Theatre is poised to open again after COVID restrictions shut it down a second time. Katie visits the theatre to find out what we can expect when it comes to keeping staff and patrons safe.
We check in on the Delmarva treasures that are the Chincoteague Ponies. Chincoteague Volunteer Fire Company Public Relations Officer, Denise Bowden tells us why now is a great time to take in the beauty of the ponies and the area they call home.
The Long Neck United Methodist Church is collecting new and gently used coats, hats, scarves, gloves, and new socks in youth and adult sizes. Please bag them by man, woman, boy, or girl with a note of what’s inside, and drop them off at the church Friday and Sunday.
Our Creamy Mushroom Risotto recipe is so easy to make, you’re going to wonder why you didn’t do it sooner! This oh-so-creamy and versatile dish originated in Northern Italy, and it’s become super popular in the United States. Probably, because once you make this, and you take that first bite, you’ll feel like you’ve been transported to a little bistro in Northern Italy! This is a recipe you’re going to want to make again and again!
What You’ll Need
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 1/2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup uncooked Arborio rice
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/3 cup white wine
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
What to Do
- In a saucepan, bring chicken broth to a simmer, but do not boil. Keep warm over low heat.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan over medium-high heat, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Add mushrooms and onion and sauté 4 to 5 minutes or until softened. Stir in rice, garlic, and wine; cook until wine is absorbed. Add 1 cup hot broth, stirring constantly until liquid is nearly absorbed. Repeat process, adding remaining broth 1 cup at a time, stirring constantly until each portion of broth is absorbed before adding next portion (about 15 minutes total).
- Remove from heat. Stir in remaining 1 tablespoon butter, the Parmesan cheese, parsley, and pepper. Serve immediately.
Test Kitchen Tip
- If you’re looking for a yummy way to change up this Creamy Mushroom Risotto recipe, you can add some shrimp or cooked chicken into the mix, keeping the risotto fresh every time you make it!
- We’ve got all occasions covered! For more yummy recipes that everyone will love, be sure to check out our No-Fail Italian Favorites!
- Here are some more Italian recipes that’ll have you saying delizioso! If you’re having a romantic evening, try our Chicken Parmesan for Two! It’s perfect for a candlelit dinner. Plus, you can really impress with our sweet Cassata Cake! It’s super easy to make!