What’s Happening Today – Jan. 29, 2018
Today on DelmarvaLife:
Boy Scout Troop 149 has been serving up spaghetti dinners for 52 years! Many scouts join us in the studio audience today to talk about their troop and what activities they participate in. The 53rd Annual Spaghetti Dinner is Sat., Feb. 3 from 4 pm-7 pm at Bethesda United Methodist Church. Dinner includes spaghetti and meatballs, salad, bread, beverage and dessert. Ticket are $8, children 5 and under are free, and carry out is available.
It’s reported that one in five athletes will sustain a sports-related concussion during the season. After a high-impact injury, it’s a matter of knowing the signs of a concussion, even if your child feels okay. DelmarvaLife’s Sydney Whitfield headed to Nemours Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children to get the facts on concussions.
We are so humbled when we have people join us in the studio and share what they’re going through as they battle cancer or some other disease. What we learn is that each of these people has an incredible support system. Organization that are there every step of the way to help those people are amazing, but they can’t do it without community support. That’s where you come in! Connie Holdbridge, program manager of education and survivorship with the Delaware Breast Cancer Coalition, joins us today. Connie tells us about the different programs they offer and their upcoming Annual Lights of Life Gala. The event is Sat., Feb. 24 from 6 pm-11 pm at Dover Downs.
Heather Hall with The Ugly Pie in Salisbury, Md. joins us in the DelmarvaLife kitchen to show us how to make a lattice apple pie. Check out the recipe below:
Classic Apple Pie
- 2 – 9” pie crusts
- 3 lb. Granny Smith Apples (about 6 apples)
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1-2 egg whites
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees
2. Peel & thinly slice apples
3. Combine sugar, flour and cinnamon. Toss with sliced apples
4. Mix melted butter into apple mixture and set aside
5. Place one crust into 9” pie pan – allow excess to drape over sides
6. Pour apple filling into unbaked crust, brush outer edge of crust with egg whites
7. Put second crust on cutting board and cut into 1” – 2” strips (per preference) – weave a lattice pattern on top of apple filling
8. Press edges of bottom & top crusts together and roll under to form outer rim of pie – crimp if desired
9. Brush top of pie with egg whites
10. Place pie on baking sheet and baked at 400 degrees for 35 minutes. Lower oven temperature to 350 degrees and bake for an additional 40 minutes, or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cover edges with foil if they begin to burn.
The DelmarvaLife Valentine’s Day Giveaway is underway! The grand prize includes dinner for two at Captain’s Table Restaurant, a dozen roses from Kitty’s Flowers, Inc., a 14k white gold diamond galaxy pendant with a 1/4 ct twt diamond from Park Place Jewelers, one $100 VP Shoes – Vernon Powell gift card, and one ‘Send Some Love Daisy’ gift certificate from Edible Arrangements. Daily prizes will be given away each weekday at 5 pm on DelmarvaLife as well. Enter daily for additional chances to win. The last day to enter is Feb. 11 at 11:59 pm. Enter here!