What’s Happening Today – February 8, 2019
Today on DelmarvaLife –
Salisbury Mayor Jake Day, along with Salisbury’s Secretary of Kindness, Grace Foxwell Murdock, join us to talk about Random Acts Of Kindness Day, which is Sunday, February 17th. The mission behind the day is to change schools, the workplace, families, and society through kindness.
We are also excited to have 15-Year-Old Noah Milad, of Salisbury, on the Mid South Audio Stage today! He’s singing a beautiful version of “God Bless America.”
Main Street Princess Anne is hosting a new event Downtown – Winter Spirits Stroll. Start with a wine tasting at Junior’s Wine, stroll to Spirits Of Patriots Distillery for a tour, tasting and proofing of the Rum, and then visit the Washington Inn and Tavern for a Cocktail, Coffee, and delicious dessert. The Winter Spirits Stroll is Saturday, February 16th from 1 To 4 P-M on Somerset Avenue in Princess Anne.
The Southern Delaware Chorale will present a concert called “A choral patchwork” in honor of Black History Month.
The chorale, consisting of approximately 60 members, will have guest performers, the cantabile women’s chorus, Sussex Tech High School Bella Voce and Voce Men’s quartet. A choral patchwork is Sunday, February 24th beginning at 3 p-m at Epworth United Methodist Church in Rehoboth Beach.
(Makes 8 servings)
l 5 cups vegetable stock
l 1 pound potatoes, diced (I used 2 large baking potatoes,
l 5 slices thick cut bacon, 1/2-inch dice
l 1 small yellow onion, diced
l 3 bay leaves
l 1 tablespoon freshly chopped thyme leaves (or 1 tsp dried
l 1/2 stick butter (4 tbsp)
l 1/2-3/4 cup all-purpose flour
l 2 cups half and half
l 3 tablespoons Old Bay
l 2 pounds fresh or frozen raw shrimp
l 2 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley leaves
l Kosher salt and white pepper, to taste
1. Bring the vegetable stock and diced potatoes to a boil in a large
2. Cook until the potatoes are tender. Set aside.
3. Cook shrimp w/ 2Tbsp Old Bay. (2-4min)
4. To make roux: In a pot, render the bacon, until crispy.
5. Stir in the onion until it’s translucent.
6. Add bay leaves, thyme and butter and let it melt.
7. Whisk in the flour and let the roux cook until it turns golden
brown, about 3 to 4 minutes.
8. Bring the stock & potatoes back to a boil.
9. Whisk in a ladleful of stock into the roux then gradually whisk the
roux into the soup pot until it thickens.
10. Then whisk in the half and half and heat to a simmer while
11. Add the shrimp and let simmer for 2 to 3 minutes.
12. Remove bay leaves and discard.
13. Then add the parsley and kosher salt and pepper to taste.
14. Best served with oyster crackers in a bread bowl.
The DelmarvaLife Valentine’s Day Giveaway is underway! How great does this grand prize sound? A one-night stay at the Hyatt Place Ocean City/Oceanfront, a gift card from Boxcar40 for dinner for two, a dozen roses from Flower Box by Little Nika, Edible Arrangements “Send Some Love Daisy” bouquet, & a $100 gift card to VP Shoes – Vernon Powell. Enter the DelmarvaLife Valentine’s Day Giveaway for your chance to win: http://www.delmarvalife.com/valentines-day-giveaway/#//