What’s Happening Today – February 10, 2021
Today on DelmarvaLife –
We investigate Cape Henlopen State Park‘s Instagram to see how they use the social media to educate through the pandemic.
The Community Players of Salisbury present, “Almost, Maine.” It’s a play that will be streamed virtual. Director, Ken Johnson talks with us about how the troupe made it happen.
The Maryland Agricultural Education Foundation is offering grants to help local children learn about growing and harvesting vegetables.
Katie takes us to The Spice and Tea Exchange of Rehoboth Beach to find out how some new flavors might help give us a wellness boost.
Nutritionist, Kelly Williams show us how to make Cashew Chicken & Veggies.
Cashew Chicken & Veggies
1/3 C low sodium soy sauce
1/3 C water
2 T honey
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 T Asian Hot & Sweet sauce, such as Go-Chu-Jang Korean style
1 T cornstarch
1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs, chopped into bite-size pieces
16 oz Asian vegetable mix
1/3 C cashews
Salt & Pepper to taste
Avocado or Olive oil to coat chicken
Preheat oven to 400*
Toss chicken pieces in oil. Season with pepper. Spread out on a large sheet pan in a single layer. (Use a Silpat or parchment paper for easy clean up!). Bake for 10 minutes
While the chicken bakes, in a small saucepan, add soy sauce through cornstarch to a small pan. Bring to a boil and then simmer approximately 5 minutes until the sauce thickens slightly.
Remove chicken from the oven. Add the vegetables to the pan with chicken, pour sauce over the top and stir to coat. Sprinkle cashews over the top. Return to oven and cook 8-10 minutes until done.
Serve with rice, if desired.
From our Hot Topics:
The Food Bank of Delaware announced today that applications are currently being accepted for the organization’s free 14-week training program, The Culinary School. Click here for more information.
Layton’s Chance Vineyard and Winery is holding a Signature Pairing: Chocolate and Wine. Click here for more information.
In Chincoteague, the Death by Chocolate event on Friday and Saturday involves wandering all over the island in search of sweet treasures. Click here for more information.
The Lewes History Museum opens its doors to “Seventeen Men: Portraits of Black Civil War Soldiers” Friday evening. Click here for more information.
Mr. Food Test Kitchen:
The family is going to rave over these budget-friendly skillet pork chops! Made with a box of shortcut stuffing mix, and lots ooey gooey cheese, our “Unstuffed” Stuffed Cheesy Pork Chops are layered to perfection. It’s a dish that looks and tastes like it’s fit for royalty, so there’s no need to tell everyone just how budget-friendly it actually is!
What You’ll Need
- 1 (6-ounce) package flavored stuffing mix
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 4 (3/4-inch-thick) boneless pork chops (about 1-1/2 pounds total)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 (1-ounce) slices Muenster cheese
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
What to Do
- Prepare stuffing mix according to package directions, adding mushrooms to water before water reaches a boil.
- Meanwhile, evenly sprinkle pork chops with garlic powder, salt, and pepper. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat oil until hot. Brown pork chops on both sides, about 5 to 6 minutes.
- Leaving chops in the skillet, top each with about 1/3 cup stuffing and a slice of cheese. Add wine to skillet, cover, and cook 5 minutes or until cheese is melted and pork is cooked to desired doneness. Serve with pan drippings.
Test Kitchen Tip
- For more yummy skillet pork chop dinners that are easy on your wallet, check out our All-in-One Pork Chop Dinner, our super flavorful Parmesan Crusted Pork, and these oh-so-yum Pork Chops and Gravy!
- We’ve got some side dish sensations you’re going to love, including our Pennsylvania Dutch Green Beans, some scrumptious Glazed Baby Carrots, and these perfectly portioned Mashed Potato Pancakes!
- When everyone looks to you for dessert, you’ll have it covered with our Back-to-Basics Coffee Cake or this decadent Strawberry-Chocolate Dump Cake! Also, for a real treat, try our Bubblin’ Strawberry Rhubarb Cobbler! Yum!