What’s Happening Today – December 3, 2020
Today on DelmarvaLife –
Homeless shelters on Delmarva are so much more than a place for a warm meal and a bed in which to sleep. That’s the case with Help and Outreach Point of Entry, or H.O.P.E. We talk with director, Donna Clark about the the need, the challenges brought on by the pandemic, and how you can help.
Challenging times have some people making the tough decision to not have a Christmas tree this year. That’s why A&A Companies, along with The Insurance Market is holding an effort called, “The Giving Tree.” A&A Companies Vice President, Mindy Allen is accepting nominations for families in need. The trees are from Parsons Farms Produce. Just click here to email Mindy to tell her why a family is deserving of a live Christmas tree.
Giving Tuesday proved to be very successful for many on Delmarva, especially SoDel Concepts. They raised $101,045 for SoDel Cares by contributing 100% of sales on Giving Tuesday to local charities. We learn more about SoDel Cares and how restaurants are faring through COVID Restrictions.
Walking through a Winter Wonderland in every sense of the words. You can do that in Hebron. We learn about the Hebron Wonderland.
The Easton High School Band recently created a video that has gone viral. Find out how the band director and students created the video together while apart. Click here to see the video.
We’re off to a shop that prides itself on being unique and affordable. See what’s sprakling and shining at Conversation Peace Jewelers.
You know Mrs. Claus’ Lemon Cookies are great because they’re Santa-approved! With just a hint of lemon, these tasty treats will add a little zest to the holidays. Check out the recipe below:
What You’ll Need
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons lemon extract
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar
- 2 -3 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 3 drops yellow food color
What to Do
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat baking sheets with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, oil, milk, salt, lemon extract, and the egg; mix well. Roll dough into 1/2-inch balls and place on a prepared baking sheets. Refrigerate remaining dough while waiting for cookies to bake.
- Bake 12 to 15 minutes, or until cookies are set but not brown. Let sit 5 minutes then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
- In a medium bowl, combine glaze ingredients and stir until smooth.
- Dip tops of cookies in glaze and place on wire rack.
Mr. Food Test Kitchen Tips!
- Use assorted sprinkles and decorating sugar to decorate your cookies. Just be sure to do it quickly, before the glaze hardens!
- If you want to decorate your cookies with multiple colors, separate glaze into smaller bowls and mix in food colors one drop at a time, until desired colors are reached.
- And for lots more cookie recipes, check out our Cookie Countdown or our free eCookbook, 12 Days of Christmas Cookies.
You have an opportunity to help local families that are struggling to make the holidays happy this year. WBOC’s Bless Our Children campaign is underway. We’ve already raised more than 116,000 dollars, but with a year like 2020 – a lot of families need help. If you’d like to donate, send us a card with a check to Bless Our Children in care of WBOC or donate online at WBOC.com. From the bottom of our hearts – we thank you for giving during such a difficult year.
The 2020 DelmarvaLife Holiday Guide is back! With our holiday coupons to local businesses, you can save money on gifts for the entire family. Just print them out at home or pull them up when you’re shopping. Plus, you could win one of more than forty daily prizes to many of your favorite local businesses! Enter daily for additional chances to win and sign up today to get the latest deals. The savings start at delmarvalife.com/holiday.