Today on DelmarvaLife –
When TidalHealth Peninsula Regional staff ran into Santa and his elf this year, they were hard at work using a string of Christmas lights to connect all TidalHealth locations across Delmarva. Click here to see how they managed to light up the giant star atop TidalHealth Peninsula in Salisbury.
Staying home means stay safe and keeping others safe with this virus. We talk with the folks at Peninsula Home Care about keeping our seniors safe from depression that may set in during isolation.
Our friends at Gateway Subaru in Delmar are giving back, just as they do year round, with the Share the Love campaign.
Have you ever seen something so beautiful it stops you in your tracks? Certain pieces of jewelry just have a shine to them. And when you dig deeper into the people who make those stand out pieces, you’ll often find that they’re gems too. Case in point – the Palazzo family at Ocean View Jewelers. As we hear from 102-5 WBOC’s Corey Phoebus, they simply love what they do.
We cat with the team at Delaware Municipal Electric Corporation to find out how you can make spirits bright without breaking the bank.
We’re talking seasonal flavors with Jen Sorrell of Island Creamery.
Cheesy Cornbread and Chili
Chili and cornbread together at last! We’ve combined these two favorites in a casserole that is so good, no matter how full you are, you’ll be saying “just one more bite!”
What You’ll Need
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 (16-ounce) cans red kidney beans, drained
- 1 (8-1/2-ounce) package corn muffin mix
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Mexican cheese blend
What to Do
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, heat oil; saute onion and garlic 5 minutes, or until tender. Add ground beef and brown 8 to 10 minutes, or until no pink remains; drain off excess liquid. Add remaining ingredients except muffin mix and cheese; mix well. Cover and simmer over low heat 20 to 25 minutes, or until thickened.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Coat a 9- x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Spoon chili into prepared baking dish. Prepare muffin mix as directed on package; stir in cheese. Spread mixture over chili.
- Bake 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center of cornbread topping comes out clean. Cool slightly and serve.
- If you like your chili spicier, simply add more chili powder!
- Check out our latest cookbook, Just One More Bite, filled with irresistible recipes!
- Consider it our Christmas gift to you! The 2020 DelmarvaLife Holiday Guide is back, full of savings and surprises! With our holiday coupons to local businesses, you can save money on gifts for the entire family. Just print them out at home or pull them up on your phone when you’re shopping. Plus, you could win one of more than forty daily prizes to many of your favorite local businesses! Enter daily for additional chances to win and sign up today to get the latest deals and coupons. The savings start this season at DelmarvaLife.com/Holiday.
Our annual effort to “Bless Our Children” to ensure every child on Delmarva has a magical Christmas, is underway. This year, the need is so much greater than in the best. We’ve raised more than 156,000 dollars and that will help a lot of families. But, we have a long way to go to ensure every child on Delmarva has a gift to open Christmas morning. If you’d like to donate, send us a card with a check to 1729 North Salisbury Blvd, Salisbury, MD, 21801 or donate online at blessourchildren.org. From the bottom of our hearts, we thank you for giving such a difficult year.