Today on DelmarvaLife –
Studies show there are more than 40,000,000 human trafficking victims globally. It’s happening here on Delmarva. The rich and famous are doing something about this. They’re selling their heirlooms to help stop the sale of people. Today, Mitzi Perdue of Global Anti-Trafficking Auction talks about an international effort to raise awareness about human trafficking and to raise funds for the organizations that are helping end this scourge. For more information about human trafficking, including signs that we all can look for, click here.
We explore a different way of thinking when it comes to what you eat. “The Game Changers” is a documentary that explores the idea of eliminating meat from the diet by following James Wilks – elite Special Forces trainer and winner of The Ultimate Fighter – whose world is turned upside down when he discovers an elite group of world-renowned athletes and scientists who prove that everything he had been taught about protein was a lie. Wilks joins us in Historic Studio D to talk about the movie that is executive produced by James Cameron, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Jackie Chan, Chris Paul, Lewis Hamilton, and Novak Djokovic.
With each passing day, it seems like we’re hearing and seeing more about CBD, or cannabidoil. You’ve probably come across people who have their list of pros and cons, or you might fall somewhere in the middle. Jeff Farace, owner of The Hemp Health Community Farmacy in Salisbury tells us about a free event featuring CBD Oil Educator, Miles Sarill. To register for the event, click here.
Crisfield’s National Hard Crab Derby is an annual Labor Day weekend event. The unique crab themed festival features crab races, crab cooking and picking contests, carnival rides, arts and crafts, vendors, live entertainment, beauty pageants, a parade, fireworks and more. Event chairman Buddy Ward joins us to talk about the event that is celebrating 72 years in Crisfield.
Back-to-school means back to packing lunches. Registered Dietitian Alyson Hickman of Healthful Cravings joins us in the DelmarvaLife Kitchen to show us two fun and healthy recipes, Easy Taco Salad, and Lunch “Sushi.” The recipes are below.
Easy Taco Salad
Calories per serving: 323 cal
Protein per serving: 35 g
Carbs per serving: 15 g
1 lb lean ground beef
1 package taco seasoning
6 cups romaine lettuce (chopped)
1 container of cherry tomatoes
1/2 can black beans
1/2 cup corn (I used frozen)
1 cup low fat shredded cheddar
4 Tbsp non-fat Greek yogurt
4 Tbsp salsa
1. Add ground beef and taco seasoning to pan over medium-high heat and cook until beef is completely browned (about 8 mins). Remove from pan and set aside.
2. Prepare vegetables by draining and rinsing beans, and cutting lettuce and tomatoes.
3. Add lettuce, vegetables, beef, and cheese to bowl and top with 1 Tbsp nonfat plain Greek yogurt and 1 Tbsp salsa and enjoy! 😋
Servings: 3 (1 serving = 1 & 1/3 cucumbers)
Calories per serving: 239 cal
Protein per serving: 21 g
Carbs per serving: 26 g
6 oz skinless rotisserie chicken
2 low-fat string cheese
1/2 cup sushi rice (cooked)
1 bell pepper
1/4 cup shredded carrots
2 Tbsp light mayo
1 tsp sriracha
1. Pull rotisserie chicken off bone, and remove skin. Prepare “sushi” ingredients by cooking sushi rice (this is stickier rice) and slicing peppers thin. Cut string cheese into halves.
2. Cut ends off of cucumber and hollow out the insides. Stuff cucumber with sushi rice, chicken, peppers, carrots, and cheese stick. Slice into 1 inch think slices.
3. Prepare spicy mayo by mixing light mayo and sriracha in a separate bowl. Lay “sushi” out on plate and drizzle with about 1/2 Tbsp mayo and enjoy! 😋
*I served mine with a little wasabi and low-sodium soy sauce!*
Do you know someone who has a birthday or wedding anniversary coming up? A great way to celebrate is with a DelmarvaLife Occasion. Submit your occasion here.