What’s Happening Today – April 5, 2017
Today on DelmarvaLife:
The Saltwater Cowboys help round up the wild ponies for the annual Chincoteague Pony Swim. Did you know that the Saltwater Cowboys round up the wild ponies on Assateague two other times a year? The first round up is this weekend where the ponies will receive an overall health check by a veterinarian. They will also receive inoculations against the West Nile Virus and to prevent equine encephalitis. Ponies will be put into corrals on Friday afternoon around 4 pm and Saturday morning around 7 am. For more details on watching this event, go here.
One in four women in the United States will die of heart disease. Coronary Heart Disease is the most common type of heart disease is the number one killer of both men and women in the U.S. Heart disease is preventable and it is all about knowing your numbers. Peninsula Regional Medical Center Exercise Physiologist Caroline Ferrell talks about how women’s health screening is very important and how you can get your health screening for free. Schedule your health screening here.
Many people are doing spring cleaning. Maxine Bentzel recently stopped by the Delaware Beach Storage Center in Lewes to show you how to find the best storage facility for your needs.
We’re showing you a few Easter crafts today using items you probably already have at home. WBOC Interactive Marketing Coordinator, Lauren Hitch, shows us how to make chicks, bunnies, and butterflies using wine corks, cupcake liners and egg cartons. Lauren also joins us in the DelmarvaLife kitchen to make an Easter cake using an Easter candy classic – Peeps.
Jimmy is quizzing the audience today about jellybeans! Wonder what the favorite jellybean flavors are in Maryland, Delaware and Virginia? Tune in at 5 pm to get the answers.
Just a reminder of our Rising Tide event today, April 5. Drop-off locations are Sherwood of Salisbury, Auto Outlet 99 and WBOC in Milton and Dover and items will be collected from 7 am-7:30 pm.
The MD and DE Food Banks are collecting the following items:
- Canned Proteins: Tuna, chicken, peanut butter, beans
- Grains: Cereal, pasta, rice, macaroni and cheese, oatmeal, granola/cereal bars
- Canned Fruit/Vegetables: In light syrup or own juices, fruit cocktail, apple sauce, juice boxes, fruit cocktail. apple sauce, juice boxes (low sodium, no salt added)
- Soups and Stews: Low sodium, beef stew, chili, chicken noodle, vegetable, turkey and rice
- Dairy: Shelf-stable milk, evaporated milk, instant formula
- Paper Products: Towels, plates, napkins, tissues, toilet paper
- Baby Products: Diapers and wipes
- Plastic Utensils: Forks, knives, spoons
- Toiletries: Toothpaste, toothbrushes, shampoo, conditioner, bar soap
Cannot accept: Hard candy, lollipops, soda in cans and bottles, chocolate bars or pieces, gum, soft candy, marshmallows, caramels, taffy, licorice, gummy items.