Today on DelmarvaLife:
National Blueberry Pie Day
It’s National Blueberry Pie Day so we’re starting off the show by sharing blueberry pie with the whole audience! Want to be a part of the studio audience fun? Request tickets here.
Maryland International Kite Expo
Organizer of the Maryland International Kite Expo joins us in the DelmarvaLife studio to talk about the Kite Festival in Ocean City, Md. Learn more about the kite expo here.
Gardening Expert Ginny Rosenkranz Talks About Arbor Day
Ginny stops by the DelmarvaLife studio often to tell us about planting veggies and what’s in season. Today she stops by to talk about planting something a little bigger for Arbor Day tomorrow. Ginny teaches us all about choosing a suitable tree and tips to help it grow.
Itchy Eyes Symptoms & How to Fight Them – Chesapeake Eye Center
Other than a few rain showers, the weather has been amazing recently. It makes putting up with all of those allergy symptoms a little easier. Have you ever wondered what is going on in your body that causes your eyes to become so irritated? Sean set out to find the science behind the symptoms and ways to combat annoying side-effects. Dr. Catherine Smoot with Chesapeake Eye Center tells we’re in the thick of a bad spring season.
Biking Events in the Area
The Annual Seagull Century where thousands of cyclists hit the roads in Wicomico, Somerset, and Worcester counties is scheduled to take place Oct. 8. Another biking event is the Iron Furnace Fifty, put on by the Furnace Town Living Heritage Village and the Rotary Club of Snow Hill, taking place May 14. Matt Drew of Salisbury, Md. is the founder of the group, Bike-SBY. He tells us all about having bike paths on the roadways and a few events coming up, like biking with Mayor Jake Day.
WBOC’s Chris Weimer Talks About Millennials Starting Businesses
Chris tells us all about a millennial from Salisbury, Md. who is a business owner selling Kombucha and organic foods. Watch WBOC tonight at 6 pm to hear the full story, “Passion Into Profit.”
In the Kitchen with Chef Deb Walker Making Dinner and Dessert
Chef Deb shares a grilled pork loin recipe and since it’s National Blueberry Pie Day, she also has a kid-friendly blueberry cupcake recipe.
Grilled Pork Loin
Pork Loin Brine Recipe:
5 – 6 pound pork loin
10 cups cold water
3/8 cups kosher salt
4 bay leaves
1 handful of peppercorns
6 sprigs rosemary
2 tablespoons chopped garlic in a jar
1 jumbo 2.5 gallon Ziploc bag
Pork Loin Brine Directions:
1. Combine the water and salt in a medium pan and bring to a boil. Stir until the salt has dissolved.
2. Add the bay leaves, peppercorns, rosemary, and chopped garlic. Lower heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Turn off the heat and allow to cool completely.
3. Place pork loin in Ziploc bag. Carefully pour the brine solution in the Ziploc bag and seal. Make sure the meat is completely covered with brine solution.
4. Set the Ziploc bag in a roasting pan and refrigerate for 2 days. Turn the Ziploc bag every 12 hours to ensure even brining.
Pork Loin Recipe:
1/3 cup canola oil, plus extra for drizzling
1/3 cup Dijon mustard
1 ½ tablespoons garlic powder
1 ½ tablespoons onion powder
1 tablespoon dried crushed rosemary
1 tablespoon dried oregano
kosher salt to taste
generous portion of black pepper to encrust the pork loin
good quality olive oil for drizzling
Pork Loin Directions:
1. Fill the grill with a generous amount of charcoal. Light coals and allow them to get very hot. When they start to turn white, you know they are ready.
2. Remove pork loin from brine solution and rinse thoroughly in cold water. Pat dry with paper towels. Place meat on a sheet pan.
3. Mix canola oil, mustard, garlic powder, onion powder, rosemary, and oregano in a medium bowl until fully incorporated.
4. Brush Dijon mixture over the entire surface of the meat. Sprinkle salt to taste over the surface of the meat. Finish with a very heavy coating of black pepper.
5. Place meat on the grill. Lightly drizzle with canola oil, flames will start to flair up aggressively. Allow the meat to get a good sear, then flip it so the other side gets a crust. Repeat this process one more time. At this point, the entire surface of the pork loin should be charred. Place the lid on the grill and cook for 4 minutes. Remove the lid and flip the meat. Cover and cook for another 4 minutes.
6. Remove meat and place on cooling rack with a sheet pan underneath. Drizzle olive on both sides of the pork loin. This helps to cool down the meat and adds to the flavor of the dish.
7. Allow meat to rest for 20 to 30 minutes. Using an electric knife, slice the meat very thinly. Drizzle the olive oil that has accumulated in the sheet pan over the pork loin. Serve immediately.
Blueberry Cupcakes with a Surprise Recipe:
1 cup fresh blueberries
1/3 cup blueberry fruit spread
16 ounces favorite vanilla icing
piping bag with decorative tip
light blue sprinkles as a garnish
plastic baby spoons to accompany dish
Blueberry Cupcakes Directions:
1. Carefully combine blueberries with blueberry fruit spread.
2. Spoon blueberry mixture into doubled baking cups.
3. Using a piping bag, pipe the icing on each individual cupcake. Remember you are not only a chef but an artist.
4. Dazzle blueberry cupcakes with light blue sprinkles.
5. Serve with baby spoon.
Hope you enjoy the show!
Request tickets to the show
Like us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Subscribe to our YouTube channel