What’s Happening Today – April 19, 2018
Today on DelmarvaLife:
Days after the loss of his father, ShaMaiz Elsey, a baseball player at Snow Hill High School, decided to continue playing with his teammates despite his loss and the game was legendary. Today, we welcome him to the show to learn more about who his father was, how he felt taking the field, and how the game played out.
Living with multiple sclerosis can be tough, but today we meet two people bravely battling the disease. Residents of Salisbury, Michael Bratton and Tammy Jarman, join us today to talk about their diagnosis and the symptoms they experienced. They also shed light on Walk MS, an event created to help raise money to fight multiple sclerosis and connect people fighting the disease with one another. Walk MS events in Hagerstown, Ocean City, and Rockville will be held Saturday, April 21st. Walk MS Bel Air and Salisbury walks will be held Sunday, April 22nd with the site opening up at 9 AM and the walk beginning at 10 AM. For more information on the Salisbury walk and to register, click here!
Author Sandie Gerken of Dagsboro joins us on DelmarvaLife for her second time to talk to us about a new book she has written titled Storied Sussex. Gerken shares with us a little more about the books premise, how she researched for the book, and about her passion for history.
Today in the Kirby and Holloway kitchen, Michael Smith, executive chef of Georgetown’s Brick Hotel on the Circle comes in to show us how to make Georgetown wellington with blue cheese sauce. But, that’s not all Chef Smith has up his sleeve. He also takes some time to show us how to make a delicious bouillabaisse you’ll want to try at home.
- 4 to 6 oz Tenderloin cut into 3 1/2 inch medallions
- 1 puff pastry square sliced in half thin wise
- 3 oz Bleu cheese sauce
- 1 oz veg oil
- S&P to taste
- Heat oil in a medium sized sauté pan sauté tenderloin until medium rare.
- Layer 2 pieces of tenderloin over bottom half of pastry.
- Place second half of pastry on top of tenderloin on layer the rest of the tenderloin on top.
- Drizzle bleu cheese sauce over all.
Bleu Cheese sauce
- 4 oz crumbled bleu cheese
- 2 oz mayo
- 2 oz buttermilk
- 2oz Heavy cream
- Combine all ingredients in a sauté pan on medium heat whisking frequently until sauce thickens and becomes creamy
- 6 fresh mussels
- 4 fresh clams
- 4 oz of fresh fish
- 4 shrimp p&d tail on
- 2 oz butter
- 1 oz old bay
- 4 oz sliced fennel
- 2 oz sliced shallots
- 1 oz saffron
- zest from 1 orange
- 2 cups white wine
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- S&P to taste
- In a medium sauce pan heat butter over medium to high heat, add shallots & fennel and sauté for 2 or 4 minutes, add old bay, saffron and S&P and continue to salute for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add mussels clams, shrimp, and fish and continue to sauté for another 2 to 3 minutes then add stock and wine.
- Cover and reduce heat and allow to cook until all shellfish have completely opened (Note if shellfish has not opened after a significant amount of time discard and use fresh)
- Pour entire stew into a medium to large soup bowl and garnish with a zest from an orange.