What’s Happening Today – April 11, 2019
Today on DelmarvaLife –
It’s National Pet Day. It’s a day to encourage us to pay special attention to pets who may not get that extra attention. It’s also a day to show off your pet. Viewers posted pictures of their pets on the DelmarvaLife Facebook page.
Becoming a mother for the first time is scary enough, but when the pregnancy is unplanned, there’s so much unknown, but there is help. The missions of Eastern Shore Pregnancy Center and Grace Center for Maternal and Women’s Health is to provide support and education for young parents. This weekend there is a Community Baby Shower for Life to support these organizations. It’s Saturday, April 13th from 10 a.m. to noon at Cross Pointe Church of the Nazarene in Salisbury. The community is invited to donate baby shower items.
We, as a country, try to honor our members of the military as much as we can, but what about the loved ones, specifically children, who are left behind as US service members are shipped to other parts of the world? April is Month of the Military Child. It’s a way for Americans to pause to recognize the nations 1.8 million military children. Sarah Hall, accounting manager with Provident State Bank talks about how the bank is observing Month of the Military Child. PSB is also hosting a shred event Saturday, April 20th, at the bank’s Preston location.
The bathroom is considered one of the most dangerous rooms in the house. Most falls happen there. That’s why you want to make sure your bathroom is not only functional and beautiful, but safe, too. 102.5, WBOC‘s Corey Phoebus stopped by Herl’s Bath and Tile Solutions to learn about safety features that come with a bathroom remodel.
The variety of food we have the pleasure of making, and then eating, in the Kirby and Holloway Kitchen is huge. Today’s dishes from Chef Christian Costantino of Just Hooked in Fenwick Island are both packed with a huge variety of flavors. We’re making Shichimi Encrusted Tuna over red colusari rice with spring onion ponzu, sugar snap peas, broccoli, gocgujang fennel kimchi, and sesame seeds and pan seared scallops with almond hummus, warm tomato salad, arugula, olive tapenade, and puffed chickpeas.
Shichimi Encrusted Tuna
½ cup sugar snap peas
1 cup broccoli florets
1 cup red rice
4 tbl ponzu
¼ cup fennel kimchi
- Bring 3 quarts of seasoned water to a boil. Add you red rice and reduce to a simmer. Cook for 10 minutes or until tender. Strain rice from water and rinse with cold water
- Bring medium saute pan to high heat with blended oil.
- Add broccoli and allow to cook and form a char.
- Add sugar snap peas and rice and toss, cook for 1 minutes
- Add ponzu and toss until incorporated.
- In separate saute pan bring blended oil to high heat. Season tuna with shichimi and salt and place in hot pan. Cook for 45 seconds on each side
- Slice tuna and plate on top of rice. Garnish with fennel kimchi
Pan seared scallops
- 1 lbs 10/20 scallops
- Bring saute pan to high heat with blended oil. Season scallops on both sides with salt and place in saute pan. Allow scallops to cook for 2 minutes without being moved. This is important to allow the scallops to caramelize. After 2 minutes turn scallops and add butter to finish. Remove from heat.
- In separate pan bring blended oil to high heat. Add you tomato salad to pan and toss with salt. Add arugula and toss for 30 seconds or just enough to allow the arugula to begin to wilt.
- On the bottom of your plate put a large smear of hummus. Then plate your arugula and tomato salad on top. Place scallops on top of tomato salad and garnish with olive tapenade and crispy chickpeas.
Do you know someone who has a birthday or wedding anniversary coming up? A great way to celebrate is with a DelmarvaLife Occasion. Submit your occasion here.