Detergent Pods & Poisoning – Tuesday, March 31, 2015
Since being put into stores about two years ago, one child has died and 17,000 children have been poisoned after ingesting them. Jill Koziel’s eight-month-old daughter Kate, was one of the many children poisoned. Kate was incubated after experiencing breathing difficulty, wheezing, gagging and drooling.
Dr. Kyran Quinlan, said that the product ingredients should be changed to make them less toxic. There should be child resistant packaging and better labeling. The detergent poisoning and child safety act would make all of those changes.
There have been some local cases as well, Nurse Practitioner Sarah Evans said that it depends upon the exposure and how the child accessed the pod and what they do with it. In the worst case, it can cause swelling and burns inside the mouth and the airway.
The treatment plan depends on the severity of the exposure, but in worst cases, steroids are used to decrease swelling and inflammation. At this time there is no data for any potential long term effects, but more studies would need to be done.
For parents who use detergent pods, Evans suggest that they put them out of the reach of a child, because the packaging makes them really appealing.