Wire Grill Brush Dangers – Monday, June 22, 2015
Cheryl’s husband had cleaned the grill with the a wire-brisseled brush and one of the brissels fell off and ended up in her burger. Cheryl had emergency surgery and the surgeon said this incident is not as rare as one might think.
A young girl ingested a one-inch piece of wire after eating a hot dog at a picnic. She had surgery to remove it after it was lodged in her throat.
Experts say as precaution, grills can be cleaned with aluminum foil or nylon brushes. Then wipe down the grill with a cloth and carefully inspect it before food is cooked.