Vehicle crashes and children:
- Leading cause of death
- Children under 12 years old
- Reduce risk by 71% for infants
- 54% for toddlers
The administration reports that 3 out of 4 car seats are improperly installed. There are many factors to consider when installing a car seat, and knowing what goes where could be the difference between life and death.
Must Remain in a Car Seat Until:
- DE: Child turns 8 years old or weighs 65 lbs.
- MD: Child turns 8 years old or taller than 4’9″
- VA: Child turns 8 years old, no height/weight requirement
Car Seat Stages:
- Infant Car Seat: Middle of back seat, rear facing, until 1 year old or 20 lbs.
- Child Car Seat: Install properly, middle of back seat, forward-facing
- Booster Seat: Place in back seat, raises child up, helps position seat belt