Vegan Banana Peel Pork Sandwich with Kelcie Mahr
We are using banana peels in a way you probably would have never imagined.
Kelcie Mahr joins us in the Kirby and Holloway Kitchen to show us how to make Vegan Banana Peel Pork Sandwiches.
Vegan Banana Peel Pulled Pork Sandwich
Servings- 2 sandwiches
4 bananas- (not quite ripe) you will want green stems and bottoms
3 tbs olive oil
2 tsp paprika
1 1/2 tsp chili powder
1 1/2 tsp dry mustard
1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp cumin
A few splashes of water
4 tbsp sweet baby rays original bbq sauce
A pinch of salt
2 buns (arnold or sara lee artesano bread)
1. Wash the bananas well.
2. Slice the top and bottom off the bananas remove the peels. Scrape the white part off the inside of the peels with a spoon.
3. Shred the peels with a fork and cut them into 2 to 3 inch-long pieces. Transfer to a bowl and add the olive oil, paprika, chili powder, mustard, garlic powder, onion powder and cumin.
4. Heat a pan over medium heat and add the shredded banana peels. Add a small splash of water to help them steam and tenderize.
5. The cooking time will depend on how ripe your bananas are (the riper they are the faster they cook) so start tasting after a couple of minutes. It’s important that they are tender enough to bite through but not so overcooked that they turn to mush. They should be done in around 5 – 10 minutes more or less.
6. Add the barbecue sauce and give them another 30 seconds to a minute more to incorporate the flavor. Add a pinch of salt to taste. Remove from the heat and let cool for a minute.
7. Pile the banana peels on your bun. Serve immediately.