Vanilla Orange Naked Layer Cake with A+ Cakes: DelmarvaLife Facebook Live Recipe – Jan. 11, 2018
Our first Facebook Live Cooking show consisted of baking a cake!
Many of you are probably trying to stick to healthy diets for the new year, but this is the perfect cheat day item. Amber Mills, owner of A+ Cakes in Seaford, Del., joins us today to make a naked layer cake. A naked layer cake is super popular right now so she shows us how it’s done.
Amber has made many wedding cakes and themed birthday party cakes. She also shows us how to make cake jars and talks about her new Cake Jar of the Month Club.
If you’re interested in ordering a cake from Amber or joining her Cake Jar of the Month Club, check out her Facebook page here.
Vanilla Layer Cake Recipe:
Ingredients (all at room temperature):
- 2 sticks of butter
- ½ cup shortening
- 3 cups sugar
- 5 eggs
- 3 cups flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ½ cup buttermilk
- ½ cup 2% milk
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract (or 1+1 tsp. orange)
1. Preheat oven to 350° and spray 3 8” nonstick pans with cooking spray.
2. Cream together butter and shortening on medium speed; scraping the bowl.
3. Incorporate sugar 1 cup at a time; mix thoroughly, scraping the bowl.
4. Add eggs 1 at a time; mix thoroughly, scraping the bowl.
5. Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
6. Combine buttermilk, milk, and extract(s); set aside.
7. Alternate the incorporation of the flour mixture, followed by the milk mixture until all ingredients are blended in the mixing bowl. Scrape the bowl well and mix thoroughly on medium-high for 1 minute.
8. Divide the batter between the baking pans and bake for 25 min.
9. Rotate the pans and bake for an additional 7-8 minutes. Allow the pans to cool for 15-20 minutes, and then remove cake from pans to cool completely on wire racks.
10. Decorate as desired.