Thai Coconut Corn Chowder with Shrimp with A Different Kitchen
Chef Mary Gaffney of A Different Kitchen in Milton is getting ready to take part in the Third Annual King Cole Cannery Celebrity Chef Cook-Off.
Those who attend can expect cold appetizers, a small plate portion of each chef’s offering, complimentary water/soda and a vote for The King Cole Cannery Celebrity Chef Cook-Off Winner. Tickets are $35 for members who pay before 4 pm on Friday, September 21. All tickets purchased at the door will be $45. Wine and beer will be available.
Chef Mary Gaffney joins us in the Kirby and Holloway Kitchen to make Thai Coconut Corn Chowder with Shrimp.
Thai Coconut Corn Chowder with Shrimp
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp chopped ginger
- 1 tbsp red curry paste
- 1 cup diced potatoes
- 3 cups corn
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup diced tomato
- 2 cups vegetable stock or water
- 1 13.5 oz can coconut milk
- 8 basil leaves thinly sliced
- 8 mint leaves thinly sliced
- juice of 1/2 lime
- chopped scallion and cilantro for garnish
- 3/4 lb raw shrimp
- 1/2 tsp salt
- pinch black pepper
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- In a saucepan heat the vegetable oil over medium heat. Add the ginger and curry paste, stir and cook for 1 minute. Add the potatoes, corn and salt. Stir until the vegetables are coated with the paste and cook for 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes, stock or water and coconut milk. Turn the heat up to medium-high and bring to a simmer.
- Cook at a gentle simmer for 12 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- While the chowder is cooking, prepare the shrimp. Season shrimp with salt, pepper and garlic. Heat 2 tbsp oil in saute pan over medium high heat. Carefully add the shrimp and cook for 2 – 3 minutes and then flip them over and cook for another 2 – 3 minutes or until the shrimp curl and are no longer translucent and firm to the touch.
- When the chowder is ready, take off the burner. Add the mint, basil and lime juice. Taste to see if additional salt is needed. Stir in the cooked shrimp, garnish with the scallions and cilantro and enjoy!