According to the National Fire Protection Association, in 2013 1.2 million fires were reported, killing 3,000 people and causing over $11 billion dollars in property damage.
At the Tibet Preserve in Orlando Fl., Park Manager and Fire Fighter, Marie Everett, fights fire with fire with her method of prescribed burns. This helps eliminate dead leaves and undergrowth that build up over time.
“If you don’t get in there and clear it out periodically, you can have a wildfire at any moment.” said Everett.
To keep your home safe you can check out the following tips:
- Make sure your building material is fire resistant.
- remove undergrowth and dead plants.
- Clear roof of leaves and branches.
- Store gasoline away from home.
- Make sure home has two entrances and exits.