Services Parents Should Be Looking For in a Quality Childcare Program
When it comes time to decide who will take care of your children while you are working is probably one of the toughest decisions you’ll make.
Not only do you have to consider what’s best for your child, there’s cost, convenience, and location.
Brian Siatkowski is a community outreach specialist with the Maryland State Department of Education’s Maryland Excels Branch; and Mary Beth Johnson is a quality assurance specialist, and they join us to talk about Maryland Excels.
A child’s first five years lay the foundation for the rest of their lives. These early years have a major impact on how children succeed in kindergarten, in school, and in their lives.
Choosing child care and early education for your child is one of the most important decisions you will make. You will consider the cost, convenience and location of a program, but will you consider the most important factor – quality?
Services Parents Should Be Looking For in a Childcare Program:
- Program staff and educators are responsive to the needs of each individual child
- Interactions between staff, children, and families are warm, positive and respectful
- Learning opportunities and materials are developmentally appropriate, plentiful, and interactive
- Teachers consider the strengths, interests, needs and cultural background of each child when planning activities
- Health, safety, positive relationships, and learning are priorities of the program
- Families are welcome and encouraged to be engaged in all aspects of the program
Maryland Excels helps families find high quality childcare and early learning programs that fit theirs and their children’s needs.