Seared Scallops with Just Hooked in Fenwick Island
We’re making seared scallops in the DelmarvaLife kitchen.
Chef Norris with “Just Hooked” in Fenwick Island shows us how it’s done.
White Wine and Dijon Vinaigrette
- 2 cups white wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- ½ cup honey
- 3 cloves garlic – roughly chopped
- 1 each peeled shallot – roughly chopped
- 1 bunch parsley
- 4 cups olive oil Salt to Taste
1. Put white wine vinegar, Dijon mustard, roughly chopped garlic cloves, peeled shallot, and honey into a food processor.
2. Blend slowly while adding olive oil.
3. Add parsley and blend slowly until color turns light green.
4. Add salt to taste
- 3-4 each apples
- 1 tbsp. Simple syrup
1. Thinly slice apples on mandolin.
2. Sit in simple syrup on baking sheet and toast in oven at 300°F until crisp.
- 1 each butternut squash
- 4 tbsp. curry powder
- 3 tbsp. Coriander
- 1 tbsp. Olive oil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
1. Peel butternut squash and cut into ¼ inch cubes.
2. Toss butternut in olive oil and seasonings.
3. Roast at 375° for 7 minutes on a baking sheet.
4. Mix on the tray and cook for 7 more minutes.
5. Allow to cool.
- 2 cups couscous
- 1 tbsp. Olive oil
- Salt to taste
1. Put couscous on a baking sheet and toast until brown.
2. Put toasted couscous in a pot of boiling water. Stir once with a spoon, cover with a lid, and remove from heat. Let the couscous steam for five minutes.
3. Allow to cool.
Seared Scallops with spiced butternut and couscous salad
- 1 cup white wine Dijon vinaigrette
- 1 bunch baby kale
- 5-6 each scallops
- 3-4 each apple chips
- ¼ cup pepitas
- ¼ cup golden raisins
- Cooled spiced butternut
- Cooled couscous
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Add oil to a 12 to 14-inch saute pan on high heat. Salt and pepper the scallops. Once the fat begins to smoke, gently add the scallops, making sure they are not touching each other. Sear the scallops for 1 1/2 minutes on each side.
2. Toss together the cooled spiced butternut, the cooled couscous, and the baby kale in the white wine and Dijon vinaigrette.
3. Put the spiced butternut squash and couscous salad on the plate and top with the finished scallops.
4. Garnish with pepitas, golden rains, and one apple chip.