Red Velvet Cupcakes with Buttercream Icing, Garnished with a Mini Funnel Cake: DelmarvaLife Facebook Live Recipe – July 25, 2017
A red velvet cupcake topped with sweet icing and a mini funnel cake on top… sounds pretty perfect, right?
Savannah Spotz, owner of Sweet Spotz Bakery, joins us in the studio to make red velvet cupcakes with semi-sweet buttercream icing, garnished with a mini funnel cake because the Delaware State Fair is taking place this week so we’re tying everything together!
Check out the Sweet Spotz Bakery Facebook page and send Savannah a message if you have any questions about ordering cakes and cupcakes.
Be sure to like and follow DelmarvaLife on Facebook so you will get a notification when we go live at 2 pm next week with Chef Thomas O’Neill, Suicide Bridge Restaurant.
Red Velvet Cupcake:
- 2 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 3 tbs. unsweet cocoa powder
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. white vinegar
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 2 oz. red food coloring
- Combine flour and salt in medium bowl.
- In small bowl, gradually stir food coloring into cocoa until well-blended.
- Combine buttermilk and vanilla in another small bowl.
- Beat butter and sugar in a large bowl at medium speed for four minutes until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well between additions.
- Add cocoa, beat until well-blended and uniform in color.
- Add flour mixture, alternating with buttermilk mixture. Beat until well-blended.
- Stir vinegar into baking soda in small bowl.
- Fold vinegar mixture into batter with spatula or spoon – do not use mixer.
- Fill cups about 2/3 full.
- Bake 15-18 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Cool in pan for 10 minutes and then move to wire rack. Let cool before adding icing.
Semi-Sweet Buttercream Icing:
- 2/3 cup water
- 3 tbs. water (sep)
- 1/4 cup meringue powder
- 12 cups sifted confectioners sugar
- 1 1/4 cup solid vegetable shortening
- 3 tbs. light corn syrup
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 3/4 tsp. imitation almond extract
- 3/4 tsp. imitation clear vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. imitation clear butter flavor
- In a large bowl, combine 2/3 cup water and meringue powder; whip at high speed until soft peaks form.
- Add 4 cups sugar, 1 cup at a time; beat at low speed after each addition.
- Add remaining 8 cups sugar, 3 tbs. water, shortening and corn syrup equally in three separate additions. Blend well after each before adding another.
- Add salt and flavorings; beat at low speed until smooth.
Mini Funnel Cake Garnish:
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/3 cup milk
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar (for topping)
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, salt, and baking powder.
- In large mixing bowl, cream together milk, sugar, and eggs.
- Add the flour mixture and beat until smooth. Batter should be same consistency as pancake batter.
- Pour oil in skillet, medium high heat (about 375 degrees)
- Using funnel or dispensing bottle, pour batter in pan in circular motions and criss-cross.
- Cook until batter turns a dark golden, then flip over and do the same to the other side.
- Cool and drain on paper towel lined plate.