Tagalong Layer Cake:
- (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature, plus more for the pan(s)
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup mini peanut butter chips
- Heat oven to 350°F. Butter the pan(s), line the bottoms with parchment, butter again, and dust with flour, tapping out the excess. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar on medium-high until fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes. Beat in the vanilla, then the eggs one at a time, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Reduce mixer speed to low. Add the flour mixture in 3 additions and the milk in 2 additions, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Mix just until combined (do not overmix).
- Transfer the batter to the prepared pan(s) and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean (see baking times, below). Cool the cake(s) in the pan(s) for 15 minutes, then turn out onto rack(s) to cool completely.
- Baking times: For two 8-inch rounds: 25 to 30 minutes. For two 9-inch rounds: 22 to 25 minutes. For one 9-by-13-inch rectangle: 25 to 30 minutes. For 24 cupcakes: 15 to 20 minutes.
Malt Cream Soak:
- 1 Quart Heavy Cream
- 2 C. Water
- 1 1/2 C. Malted Milk Powder
1. Combine in blender, mix on high speed until well combined and smooth. Should be slightly thick.
Peanut Butter Frosting:
- 3 lbs. Cream Cheese
- 2 C. Peanut Butter
2 C. Malt Cream
1. Combine in mixer bowl. Beat with paddle attachment, scraping down the sides with rubber spat, until rich and creamy. Transfer to plastic pastry bag. Chill. If it gets too firm, knead it with your hands to soften.Chocolate Curd:
- 1 Quart Heavy Cream2 C. Water10 Eggs3 1/3 Cups Sugar4 C. Dark Chocolate Chips2 C. Mini Peanut Butter Chips2 Envelopes Powdered Gelatin (plain)
1. Mix heavy cream, water, eggs, and sugar together on medium high in blender, in batches if necessary.2. Add peanut butter chips and chocolate chips to the mixture in a heavy bottomed sauce pot.3. Warm over medium heat, stirring constantly until both types of chips are completely melted and mixture is slightly thickened.4. Whisk envelopes of gelatin into mixture until thoroughly incorporated.
5. Working in batches if necessary, return to clean blender cannister and blend each batch on high for 2-3 minutes. Transfer to a shallow heat-proof container. Chill completely. Transfer to plastic pastry bags.
- Tagalong Girl Scout Cookies
- Malted Milk Powder
1. Process together in batches in a food processor leaving some nice big marble-sized chunks.
Other things you will need: Acetate, non fluted cutter (or outer ring of mason jar) blue painter’s tape, pint-sized deli containers, offset spatula.
If you’d like to learn more about Catch 54 in Fenwick Island, you can visit their website: www.catch54.com