Deborah Walker is in the kitchen making pork roulade with broccoli cheese pesto and charred tomato bacon vinaigrette.
Deborah is asking for your help Delmarva! She wants to be a finalist on Food Network’s Chopped, but she needs your vote. You can vote for Deborah and this dish by clicking HERE. Search Deborah Walker and then vote for her pork roulade dish. You can vote everyday until Aug. 22 and the winner will be announced Aug. 29.
Pork Roulade With Broccoli Cheese Pesto and Charred Tomato and Bacon Vinaigrette
*Note – the pesto will include a classic, creamy pesto and a deconstructed pesto.
Charred Cherry and Bacon Vinaigrette
5 to 8 charred cherry tomatoes, halved
5 thick bacon slices
1 tablespoon minced garlic
3 tablespoons minced shallots
5 tablespoons olive oil
¼ cup white balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon brown sugar
kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1. Charred tomatoes will be cooked with the pork tenderloin.
2. Cook bacon in a heavy large skillet over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to paper towels. When cool, chop coarsely. Set aside.
2. Reserve 3 tablespoons of dripping in the skillet and turn heat to medium-low. Sauté garlic and shallots until translucent. Remove pan from heat and set aside.
3. Whisk oil, vinegar, brown sugar in a small bowl. 4. Place oil mixture into pan with garlic and shallots. Add 3 tablespoons chopped bacon to drippings. Stir over medium-low heat for 3 minutes. 4. Transfer vinaigrette to a bowl until ready to serve. Do not forget to add the charred cherry tomatoes.
Broccoli Cheese Pesto
- 3 cups cooked broccoli
- ½ cup toasted walnuts
- 5 small cloves garlic, minced
- 5 cups fresh basil, packed
- 1 cup Sargento 4 State shredded cheese
- 3/4 cup good quality extra-virgin olive oil
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1. Place ½ broccoli, ½ walnuts, and garlic in a food processor. Pulse until fully blended. Add ½ basil, salt and pepper. With the food processor running, slowly pour the olive oil into the bowl through the feed tube and process until the pesto is pureed. Add ½ of the cheese and puree for 1 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
2. Coarsely chop the remaining ingredients and add to the pureed pesto.
Grilled Pork Tenderloin
- 2 pound pork tenderloin
- kosher salt and black pepper
- cooking twine
1. Prepare charcoal grill for grilling. The coals should be very hot.
1. Pound out pork for roulade.
2. Add a layer of pesto to the pork. Keep an inch around the border of the pork roulade free of pesto.
3. Carefully roll the pork. Truss it tightly so the filling remains intact. Also the pork will shrink slightly when grilled, this is another reason to make sure you truss the meat tightly.
4. Grill roulade and make sure all sides obtain a good char. Cover and cook for 4 minutes on each side. Allow meat to rest before slicing.