Cleaned-Up Chicken Nuggets with Food Blogger Lynn Matava
Cleaned up Chicken Nuggets:
- 1/4 cup whole grain cornmeal (the kind without the germ removed)
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour (or flour of your choice, such as rice, chestnut, coconut, teff)
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 2-4 tbsp. crumbs made from crushing dried, crusty stale bread (optional)
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese (optional, but allows the coating to stick much better)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 pinch of sea salt
- 1 cup milk of choice (dairy or can use almond milk, gives a nice nutty flavor)
- 1 chicken breast, cut into cubes or strips
- Approximately 1/4 cup of cooking oil of choice (we used expeller pressed coconut oi for the high smoke point)
Here’s how you make it.
1- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2 – Mix all dry ingredients well.
3 – In large bowl, beat egg into milk. Toss in the chicken pieces.
3 – Drain nuggets but do not pat dry. Drop 2-3 pieces at a time into dry mixture, just to coat. Transfer them to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
4 – Lightly coat the breaded chicken in oil (can use a sprayer or gently drizzle with oil)
5 – Place the baking sheet in the oven and bake for 18-22 minutes or until coating is crisp and chicken is baked through. To test doneness, break open a nugget. It should break apart easily and be opaque and cooked all the way through without being dry.
- 8 ounces milk of your choice (dairy, almond, soy, etc)
- 4 strawberries, plus 2 for garnish (3 ounces total), rinsed and tops removed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons raw honey*
Here’s how you make it:
Reserving two strawberries for garnish, add all remaining ingredients to a blender. Whip up until frothy. Divide into two glasses, garnish each with an additional strawberry.